Play in steering

Play in steering

Vesuvio

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7
On my 1981 CJ7, I got a play on the steering wheel to the right or left until it engages the wheels. Is it normal?
31” wheels

There should be adjustments on the steering gearbox where you can tighten that out.

Also have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the steering gear to what moves before the wheels do, that is probably a source of slop too. Bad tierods are the usual suspects.

There are several places that could be the source of the free play. As stated, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth as you watch the steering. If the pitman arm is not moving when the input shaft to the steering gearbox is rotating then the gearbox is the problem.
I've seen where the shackles caused play in the steering. The axle actually moved side to side before the wheels would steer.
Keep us updated.

There are several places that could be the source of the free play. As stated, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth as you watch the steering. If the pitman arm is not moving when the input shaft to the steering gearbox is rotating then the gearbox is the problem.
I've seen where the shackles caused play in the steering. The axle actually moved side to side before the wheels would steer.
Keep us updated.
In regards to the shackles, is this a bushing issue? I can see my shackles shifting/twisting/moving/whatever you want to call it as I turn the wheel.

In regards to the shackles, is this a bushing issue? I can see my shackles shifting/twisting/moving/whatever you want to call it as I turn the wheel.

Yes, if you have flex at the shackles replace the bushings with polyurethane.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks