Pinion nut

Pinion nut

CABBOTT

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'82 CJ7 AMC 360 T176 Dana 300 twin stick
Hey guys just pulled out and replaced my transfercase output seal and my rear diff pinion seal. In doing so I guess I missed filing down a spot where the PO hit the pinion with a punch to lock the threads and I stripped out the threads on the pinion nut. Any one have an idea where I can get a 7/8 x20 pinion nut. Had Oreillys, napa, and local truck shop order what they could and none of those we're correct. Napa could not find a part number to match anywhere and Oreillys only has one size available. Tried fastenal they said they only show a 7/8x16 nut in their system. If I have to order online I'm good with that but the only thing I've found is from a machine shop for $14.00 plus shipping :eek:
Thanks in advance for the help

you could try Six States Dist. if there is one near your town.Online I would call HermTheOverdriveGuy and if he doesn't have them he probably knows where to get one. The other would be one of the gear shops or currie int. :) mike

Here's a link for the nut AMC Individual parts and Kits by the way you should always use a new nut.

I really hope you used an inch pound torque wrench on the nut to find what the preload on the bearing was before you took the nut off so you know what to tighten it back up to. If you don't know what I'm saying , check the factory service manual.

Old Dog , thanks for the link.I was not familiar with this company.Got it in my favorites list. thanks again, mike

Cabbott, if you don't have a fsm here's a link to one, the info on the AMC20 starts on page 852 and the info on changing the seal starts on page 863.
http://www.civilianjeep.info/84-86FSM/CJ-FSM-84to86.pdf

mstar, It's a small mom & Pop place they are not far from my house, I go there for most of my rear end parts. Good people there.

Last edited:
Well didn't measure it before taking it off just planned on setting it to specs of a used set when reinstalling it. But thanks for the links I didn't have the fsm before so I'll save it to a flash drive, thanks.

Well I think I have the funds saved for a locker now anyone have a preference of locker type and dealer with a good prices?

IMO a selectable locker is the way to go, pricy but worth it, especially for the street.

Sorry I should have specified selectable, I'm really eyeing the ox locker for the rear. I'm having trouble deciding what engagement method of locker though. I like idea of electric, but it is a jeep and electrical has never been a strong suite for what we put our jeeps thru

Gatorbait has an ox with the electric, maybe he'll chime in.
I like my Eaton Elocker and haven't had any problems yet. I believe the Ox and ARB are your only choices for the 20. Both are good solid lockers.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks