Picked up a new project

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
Seems like I got my work cut out for me this time...Picked up a '78 F-150 4x4 to make into a mud runner for the wife, I call it 'Project Ugly', she calls it 'Mud Bitch!'
has a 300-6 (runs), NP435 tranny, 205 transfer case (I think so far)

List of major stuff to do so far:
replace 9" center (this one is blown up!)
replace the short shaft in the front side (and I just gave one away this week! :mad:)
put in bucket seat and racing belts
weld up both diffs for traction
lift suspension by a couple inches
install the 35x12.5 Swampers off my CJ, so I can buy new and better tires!
I want to cut off the body and tube it, she wants to keep it full-bodied (future poll :confused:)
it will get some kind of crude cage/rollbar at least
all safety gear for racing needs installed...

total budget= about $500 not including $100 purchase price.

pics will be edited in after it gets light out....

Last edited:
If your gonna end up with a fun mud toy and only have $600 in it - I'd say that is one hell of a bargain! Make sure you keep us posted (build thread maybe?).

Man I hope thats all I have into it...After looking at it in the light today, I find the whole front end is toast, there is NO C-bushings in it at all! Good thing there is a new pack sitting on the front seat! :) Rear pinion is totally gone also, but I already knew that...
On to the pics!...
SANY0299.png

SANY0300.png

SANY0305.png

SANY0308.png

SANY0310.png

SANY0311.png

SANY0309.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun project! May want to up the budget by $20 for a rattle can paint job.:) I love those 300 6's. Keeping it manual, or swapping an auto? I'm not a mudder, but i understand most guys like autos for keeping momentum up. I'm just trying to help your list grow.:D

we will leave it manual for now, the wife and I both prefer them. When this engine goes, I hope to have a 460/auto ready for this one or the next chassis. This is just something for my bride to mess around with off road (so she will stay out of my Jeep! :laugh:)

As for the paint, thats why I wanted to strip it down to the firewall and tube it out, but she likes the way it looks. Guess that attitude is why we have been together so long...

:laugh: Just so you know, the tranny alone is worth about twice what I paid, and the other parts that are still good would bring a fair bit to the right person. Shoot, scrap price would re-pay the purchase price alone! :laugh:

I used to scrap about 6-10 trucks a month to get all my spending cash...I know where the $$ is on these...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks