Picked up a new project

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
Seems like I got my work cut out for me this time...Picked up a '78 F-150 4x4 to make into a mud runner for the wife, I call it 'Project Ugly', she calls it 'Mud Bitch!'
has a 300-6 (runs), NP435 tranny, 205 transfer case (I think so far)

List of major stuff to do so far:
replace 9" center (this one is blown up!)
replace the short shaft in the front side (and I just gave one away this week! :mad:)
put in bucket seat and racing belts
weld up both diffs for traction
lift suspension by a couple inches
install the 35x12.5 Swampers off my CJ, so I can buy new and better tires!
I want to cut off the body and tube it, she wants to keep it full-bodied (future poll :confused:)
it will get some kind of crude cage/rollbar at least
all safety gear for racing needs installed...

total budget= about $500 not including $100 purchase price.

pics will be edited in after it gets light out....

Last edited:
If your gonna end up with a fun mud toy and only have $600 in it - I'd say that is one hell of a bargain! Make sure you keep us posted (build thread maybe?).

Man I hope thats all I have into it...After looking at it in the light today, I find the whole front end is toast, there is NO C-bushings in it at all! Good thing there is a new pack sitting on the front seat! :) Rear pinion is totally gone also, but I already knew that...
On to the pics!...
SANY0299.png

SANY0300.png

SANY0305.png

SANY0308.png

SANY0310.png

SANY0311.png

SANY0309.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun project! May want to up the budget by $20 for a rattle can paint job.:) I love those 300 6's. Keeping it manual, or swapping an auto? I'm not a mudder, but i understand most guys like autos for keeping momentum up. I'm just trying to help your list grow.:D

we will leave it manual for now, the wife and I both prefer them. When this engine goes, I hope to have a 460/auto ready for this one or the next chassis. This is just something for my bride to mess around with off road (so she will stay out of my Jeep! :laugh:)

As for the paint, thats why I wanted to strip it down to the firewall and tube it out, but she likes the way it looks. Guess that attitude is why we have been together so long...

:laugh: Just so you know, the tranny alone is worth about twice what I paid, and the other parts that are still good would bring a fair bit to the right person. Shoot, scrap price would re-pay the purchase price alone! :laugh:

I used to scrap about 6-10 trucks a month to get all my spending cash...I know where the $$ is on these...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom