Performance Camshaft and RPMs question

Performance Camshaft and RPMs question

dbohls

Jeeper
Thanks
I am new to the forum so please be gentle.

I have a '82 Scrambler. This is how I am set up now. 258 with clifford headers, stock intake, holley 350, hei distributor, performance camshaft from 505 performance, roller rockers, Nv3550 Transmission. The timing is supposed to be way advanced.... like 25. Gear is 3.31.

Is it possible that my camshaft is affecting the way my transmission feels?
Example. 1st gear feels like a granny gear. 5th gear feels like it should be third gear.

Before I had this holley 350 and stock intake, I was sold some snake oil and had this dual weber carb set up from clifford. I could never get it tuned right and it appeared to be washing out my cylinders. So I went back to the original intake and put on this holley carb. I never had this "feeling" with regard to the transmission, when I was running the dual carbs. I had put the performance camshaft in the same time I installed the dual carb setup.

When I bought the jeep, it was stock. I initially replaced the T-5 with the NV-3550. The tranny has always been great. I haven't touched the front and rear gears.

I am racking my brain trying to figure out why the jeep is running like this.

That camshaft can't be affecting my rpm's like this, can it?

Obviously, going back to the original cam is not an easy endeavor.
That's why I am here. Hoping someone can enlighten this wannabe garage mechanic.

It sounds like you think you are concerned about the rpms while on the road. A decent multimeter should have a tachometer on it so you could verify how fast the engine is turning over, also determine just what axle ratio you have.

:ww:

What size tire are you run'n?
LG

It sounds like you don't have any power at low RPM and an power increase at higher or road RPM's. Depending on your cam grind it is very possible that you gave up low RPM torque for high RPM HP. Also, pretty much everything you have added supports this. Headers are high RPM performance items, the carbs you have worked with are performance items, other mods serve to support an engine running at highway speeds. What you are describing is fairly typical of some cam grinds. It appears that you want more HP from what is essentially a tractor motor. Remember, nothing gives you more horse power better that cubic inches .... look into a 360 upgrade.

Of course this is only a good observation if your Transmission is shifting properly. It will also be mentioned that 3.31 gearing is fairly high, especially if you are running tall tires. I.E. anything much taller than 31's.

Last edited:
What is your idle vacuum?
Did you degree the cam?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks