Painless Wire harness

gert

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 1942 Willys slat grill
Well as much A BAD WORD all of us dont like spending money on electrical wiring .......I just picked up my Painless replacement wire harness and am very impressed. :D Yes it is $500 however they are giving you a $100 mail in rebate when you buy it. :chug:

gert - was wondering how the Painless harness worked out for you? I just ordered one for my 75 CJ5 and it will be here next week.

Thanks, Bill

gert - was wondering how the Painless harness worked out for you? I just ordered one for my 75 CJ5 and it will be here next week.

Thanks, Bill
I put one in a 78 CJ 5 a few years back It was fantastic. It came with everything I needed and installed pretty easy I put it in over three days working in the evenings after work.

Ahh yes the wiring harness....:chug: Im loving it I am still trying to finish installing it I beleive it would take the average guy a weekend to get it right....I have an AMC V8 with all new gauges and am a little anal when it comes to wiring so I rerouted some of the harness in a few spots and had to scratch my head a few times wiring up my HEI disto (wire #720)and the supplied "Maxi fuse"(wire #787 and #715/716) I am almost finished with the dash now and I have a day and a half invested in it now. I have found that the brand new wire harness has a better connector on it than the brand new tail lights I have :( and that I am having to reuse the factory windsheild wiper plug and harness :( it is so nice having a brand new harness that is not going to look like a birds nest :chug: also they have a wire already in the harness if you want to run an electric fan SWEET

I just bought this also because of the $100 rebate. Should be here by the end of the week and then I can get started. The original harness on my CJ7 had been repaired and hacked on so many times it looked horible. I am excited to have all new in there!!!

I am not sure but I think there is another brand called Kwik Wire. Runs about half the cost and just as good. I good a buddy who used it when he rebuilt a Chevy pickup.

The painless wiring harness is why I got such a good deal on my 1970 CJ5. The guy I bought it from had rebuilt the bottom end, done all the body work, had the transmission rebuilt and could not get the jeep to start after adding the "painless" wiring harness. He had no left turn signal and everything blinked with the right turn signal. Only took 4 hours to straighten it all out. Good luck!

I am in the process of putting one of these in my 77 CJ5 and have run into a head scratcher. When I start the jeep it cranks fine, but soon as I release the key back to the run position the jeep dies out. Have rechecked the wires against the painless directions several times and called them to help me out a few times as well. Still cant figure it out. Anyone ever have a problem like this?

Great thread, was wondering if I need to keep any of the old wiring, I'm doing a rebuild with frame and body work, and before I cut the old harness out, I want to make sure Im not making a mistake. The painless looks like it will connect everywhere. I'm going aftermarket on gauges (auto meter) and a aftermarket heater. Directly next to my (charcoal) canister there is a silver box, it has 5 or 6 wires coming out into two plugs, I have no idea what it is but don't see those plugs on the painless anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill I'm Jeff I am having some issues hooking up my headlight switch with the painless wireing harness. I don't know what colors go where on the switch can you help? It is a seven post with six wires. On a 77 CJ7.

Thanks,Jeff :confused:

Jeff -

I'm sorry to say my painless harness is still sitting in the box. I'm still trying to get the tub finished up and back on the frame, so I haven't started the wiring yet.

See if you can get gert's attention (maybe send him a pm). I think he probably has a bit more expertise on this than me.

Good Luck - Bill :chug:

hi there im looking for the location of the wiring on the back of the headlight switch i have a painless kit as well im trying to locate where to plug the wiring in on the back thanks schaff

SCHAFF, I dont know if you still need help but I just looked at mine and it ialso has 7 pins with 6 wires going to it but my harness has the plug pre terminated. Is yours not? Also look at the attached file it is of the 82 wiring diagram from one of the sites links.

Attachments

• Part 4 Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 546
I like it. Modified it a little but it works perfectly !

Would it work in a 1986 CJ7 with a ECM?

You can move your solenoid where you want to, the ECM does not affect its placement. If you are refering to will the Painless harness work with the ECM the answer is also yes however you will have to keep the ECM harness and splice it into the new harness. If you are not required by your government to keep the computer I would ditch it as it does not serve a useful purpose...............A happy side note, my painless harness is all hooked up and works as good as it looks, I love having neat and organized wiring:chug::chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks