Opinions Wanted - Transmissions

Opinions Wanted - Transmissions

JeffP

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5, 304, T18, D20, D44s w/3.73 1974 CJ5, 304, 4 spd., Dana axles 3.73 gears. 1973 CJ5, 258 I6, T18, Dana 20, Dana axles 4.27 gears. 1972 CJ5, 304, 4 Spd, Dana 20, 4.27 gears. 1976 CJ5, 304, T150. 1976 CJ5, 304, T150, J20 w/4.10 gears. 69 CJ5 Hurricane 4 cyl, 4spd all original! ‘53/‘54 M38a1 100% original but also 100% apart! Low 3 digit Vin! One of the very first m38a1s!
I’m putting together a CJ5 for a friend and would like to know which transmission is best... the T-15 or T-150.
Either will be driven by a stock 304 V8.
The transfer case will be a Dana 20.
I have both transmissions available, just would like to explore options on why one may be more desirable than the other.

Need info about his jeep and it's use.
Really can't recommend any 3 speed.
LG

Need info about his jeep and it's use.
Really can't recommend any 3 speed.
LG
Early 70’s CJ5, 304 2V, 3spd (because I have a million of them and it’s a free Jeep). Dana 20 xfer case, Dana axles 4.27 ratio. 31x10.5x15 wheels & tires. With a full cage!
Mostly around town but occasional off-road trail use.
Chrome spoke wheels. They are stock & look ok, I just prefer the aluminum slots for my restoration projects.
This will be his first Jeep & I really can’t imagine him beating on it. But... it needs to be childproof and reliable. I don’t want to drive out in the desert & rescue him.
While the 4 speeds are plentiful I’m not giving one away. It makes sense to use stuff I have been shoving aside for “someday I might use it”.

The T-15 is a good bit 'tuffer' over the 150. So I have been told-:D
What's the difference in 1st and 2nd gear ratios, between the 2?
Some good info here, in the tranny parts section.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/
LG

The T-15 is a good bit 'tuffer' over the 150. So I have been told-:D
What's the difference in 1st and 2nd gear ratios, between the 2?
Some good info here, in the tranny parts section.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/
LG
I’ve driven both and never noted any difference in gearing.
I tend to agree the T-15 is likely more durable as I have rebuilt several of the T150s but none of the T15s. That alone tells me to go with the T-15 on this project. After all, what’s the fun of having a broken Jeep?
The only advantage I see with the T-150 is that it has the Ford pattern on the front... which in this case doesn’t help.

Curious, why not consider a T-18, if it's gonna be a cruiser with occasional off road trail use then how practical will a 3 Spd be vs a 4 SPD with a proven Granny gear for crawling?
Asking for the both of us seeing as I've got little experience with Jeeps, hoping the Jeep Jedis can help us both out.
Sorry Hoss, don't mean to Hijack your thread.
-Tonto

Early 70’s CJ5, 304 2V, 3spd (because I have a million of them and it’s a free Jeep). Dana 20 xfer case, Dana axles 4.27 ratio. 31x10.5x15 wheels & tires. With a full cage!
Mostly around town but occasional off-road trail use.
Chrome spoke wheels. They are stock & look ok, I just prefer the aluminum slots for my restoration projects.
This will be his first Jeep & I really can’t imagine him beating on it. But... it needs to be childproof and reliable. I don’t want to drive out in the desert & rescue him.
While the 4 speeds are plentiful I’m not giving one away. It makes sense to use stuff I have been shoving aside for “someday I might use it”.

Other than the T-15 supposedly (I say supposedly because that's what I've read/been told but no personal experience with them) being stronger than the T-150, they seem to be pretty evenly matched to me. But it sounds like you'll be putting together an intermediate (72-75) '5, so I think the T-15 makes more sense. I'm mainly thinking about several years down the road when some parts are needed, it will be easier if it's less mismatched..Although I apparently never consider that on my own, I've got parts from 3 different makes/model/years on my front axle alone! (and from 3 different ones in my tcase too).

Curious, why not consider a T-18, if it's gonna be a cruiser with occasional off road trail use then how practical will a 3 Spd be vs a 4 SPD with a proven Granny gear for crawling?
Asking for the both of us seeing as I've got little experience with Jeeps, hoping the Jeep Jedis can help us both out.
-Tonto

The T18 would definitely be a great choice, but it sounds like he's trying to help out friend using spare parts he has. The T18 is a bit too desirable to give away in a free Jeep (IMO).

-Tonto
Obviously a T18 would be the best but... the guy I’m building this for doesn’t have any money for toys and I think having his own Jeep would really make his life more enjoyable.
I’m not rich either and I’m doing this entire project out of my own pocket. I simply can’t afford to buy a 4 speed to give away when I have a pile of good 3 speeds I’m not currently using.
I want him to have the best of what I have available.
I don’t want to do this once let alone twice lol!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks