Build Thread Operation Sky Blue Water Trip Build

Build Thread Operation Sky Blue Water Trip Build
Well my water connection has been quite an ordeal. Nothing major just many changes. It began with a typical three eights fitting that went to a copper tube that was bent ninety degrees. I put the manifold on before I reinstalled this piece (no heater connection). It wouldn't screw on as it kept hitting the transmission dipstick. So I got some 3/8 pipe and put on an elbow and a small snout on it to connect the heater hose.

The other night I was installing my temperature sensor for my sniper EFI, and it is a 3/8 fitting as opposed to the OEM fitting. I actually wanted to keep both sending units so that my OEM gauge would work still. I put the OEM one back where it belonged and re did my other one for the EFI.

f5616308860177406793880cecbd049c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I finished all underhood wiring and cleaned up some existing wiring, tightened down the throttle body and reinstalled the throttle linkage.

4cfe8145eb0143d8c4eb8e3cd59257fc.jpg

12606d644b1394a81cd3c69d7bbd5b06.jpg

86d167698ee81a34451365fdd445c69a.jpg

All that's left is locking out the distributor and running fuel line and bolting on the pump. Fuel pump wiring is done. Hope to fire it up this week.

I also test fitted the OE air cleaner assembly. Fits perfect until I figure out cold air intake.

looking good, i always have hated the 14 trips to the hardware store it takes to get a water hose fitting to work on an aftermarket intake

looking good, i always have hated the 14 trips to the hardware store it takes to get a water hose fitting to work on an aftermarket intake

Thank you... and agreed. Same for bolts and washers and so forth. I used all stainless with everything this time. No more than I needed the cost didn't move the needle but it's expensive enough to make sure you get it right and don't overbuy.

Tonight went to TDC and pulled the distributor to remove the vacuum advance and begin the process of disabling the centrifugal advance as well.

Got the distributor locked out today and reinstalled. Finished most vac lines and cleaned and reinstalled plug wires.

It's coming together...

16df2957a63c1b53f6677ef2f524906e.jpg

Very nice, sir - very nice indeed

Lookin great, having that sniper on the motor lends some good perspective to how big it is

Looking good!

Looks great! :notworthy:
Fingers crossed for a good fire-up.
:chug:
LG

Looks great! :notworthy:

Fingers crossed for a good fire-up.

:chug:

LG

Thank you... Same here, excited and petrified at the same time. I need to throw on a couple of vacuum plugs tonight and get the dang fuel line ran and the pump hung and it's go time.

Fire that mother up ! Good luck

Delayed double tap.......

Small snag tonight. I ran the fuel line fine but ran into an issue mounting the pump, my self-tappers stripped out even with pilot holes. Ended up drilling through frame completely now need 1/4" x 3 1/2" bolts to run through there.

I'll hang it tomorrow and connect the wires. I have a small shopping list of some vacuum tees and plugs, coolant mix, and a few other odds and ends.

Managed to get the pump and filters mounted and wired. I'll bet I rolled myself out from under the Jeep 15 times. Forgot a connector. Wrong socket. Forgot screwdriver. Sheesh. I need to get a coupler for the fuel line input to the pre-pump filter so I can do this without dropping the tank.

I also finished all vacuum lines / plugs. Tomorrow I connect tank to pre-pump filter, post pump filter to throttle body and throttle body to return line. After that it's run display lead through firewall and mount on dash, replace radiator hoses, add coolant, reattach battery connections, cross-fingers, pray, hit the key...

63c9dcf3d3a31ec2c33d9f1959f4e839.jpg

(Taken before wires tied back)

I made a lot of progress today. All the fuel lines are complete, all the wiring "was" complete (more on that later). Filled it up with coolant, charged the battery a bit and cleaned things up.

I turned on the key and ran through the initial setup that creates the base config, then shut it off as directed. Turned it back on and didn't hear the fuel pump and it had no config. Long, long story short - wire the thing like the documentation says, even if you think it's dumb.

The 76-77 CJ's (and maybe earlier ones as well) are wired so that even during cranking, keyed power stays on. So I just wired the pos and switch all to keyed power. Can't do that with this. The computer loses its configuration, so each time you turn it on, it's blank. So I split out my positive terminal block to be powered on all the time, and did a second positive block that's switched by the key. Doing this allows for great connectivity and by keeping the config stored, the fuel pump did it's thing as well (2.5sec prime). I need to figure out how to store a config so that in the event of a power loss, I don't have to start over with the self-learning and/or any customizations I've done. I suppose a tender charger in the event of a battery swap or something would work, but if/when I do work where the battery really should be disconnected I need to have a get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm sure there's a way, I just need to read/ask.

By the time I got everything squared away, and re-checked my timing at crank, rotor and reluctor; my wife was in bed and I didn't want to make a bunch of racket in the garage.

SO - tomorrow is fire-up day. Finger's crossed.

T minus until crank. :chug:

Last edited:
It ran! I was waiting to post until I got to a computer so I can put the video on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fartoxENPmo

:dbanana::banana::chug:
WOOHOO!
We have ours running too! A few more wires, set the timing, put the seats back in, and down the road we will be going! Seems like we are in sync with each other on project completion!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom