Old Jeep and hunting memories.

Old Jeep and hunting memories.

hunter1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5 Renegade, 258ci, T18a trans
Morning all..

Just recently joined here, and have a 79 to be delivered in a few days.

I went thru my pics and found my first CJ that I bought used around 1976 or so.
Just can't remember the exact year, maybe 1971? It had the Buick V-6 for sure.

I was in college full time, working full time, and hunting every spare minute 100m away on public land in Concordia parish, La. After working till midnight Fri night, I would jump in my old Nova, drive 60m to moms house where I kept the Jeep loaded up. Swap out, then head to the spots.just in time to get set up for ducks and/or deer in the swamps.

My brother was in high school, and going to votech/trade school too. Every time something broke, (most trips) we'd limp home, and he would fix it during the week. Pretty good deal, lol.

The pic is within minutes of mounting new Unico co-ops (pre buckshot type). Soon we welded up a boat rack for the pirogue, then ran some rebar from rack to the bumper on both sides. This formed a wedge for driving the the woods and parting samplings and blackjack vines.

One of the funniest moments was barreling down a very bad muddy woods trail in the early morn darkness, couldn't stop, or risk get stuck. Low gear, just about hard as u could go. Came around a curve trying to pick the best line, when the steering wheel nut came loose. Just rode straight into the woods few yards where we stopped and tightened it best we could w old pliers. The headlights were dimmed w mud, the extra driving lights in pic were covered and useless.
The ruts were so bad the passenger almost fell out his side more than once. The soft door would open when shoulder hit it and dump you, lol.

Another time we were camping there, big storm came up at midnight and wiped us out, tent flat, everything wet. Threw everything in back, took off, 15m later threw the back joint, shaft like to come thru the bottom, about scared us half to death. Don't u know we had every wrench but the right one to remove the shaft. Cold front comin thru, pouring rain, so we made a quick sling with hay rope all we had, and limped 1st gear low, for about 5m, then at daylight we borrowed a wrench, then hauled it home on the front shaft.

Will try to find a few more pics of this Jeep. In those days it was still ok to put deer on hood, lol.

Sorry for the long post, just great Jeep CJ5 memories that we still laugh about!
My roommate at the time was a nonhunter, but excellent artist, so he handpainted Renegade, lol.

Feel free to post any hardcore stories :chug:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
:)

Hunted all over the West in my 65 CJ .......Colorado , Wyoming, Utah, Nevada , Idaho Etc.

:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• 2014_01_15_19_51_500001_zpsf0dbc2c1.jpg
    2014_01_15_19_51_500001_zpsf0dbc2c1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 2014_01_15_19_54_200001_zps666bfe01.jpg
    2014_01_15_19_54_200001_zps666bfe01.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 287
Funny how things change, back in upstate New York near the Canadian border we were REQUIRED to show the deer during transport. Up there nobody cared, we knew where our food came from and a little blood didn't send momma and the little un's into hiding. I wonder if it's still the law?

Please don't apologies for writing a decent story, that's what most of us are here for. :)

Is it ok to post pic of my old Jeep with deceased doe on hood? No gore but it's a close up.. Haha. The pic shows those tree parting bars we added..:eek:

1978 ... Man I can't even remember any details about this one.:(

Another time we got two does and had to make a big circle through the woods around a lake to get to and haul them out. Those bars worked so well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 279
Heck we still ride them around in my neck of old fla plan on giving some a ride in my project on the fall. I have to dig out my pic of my 79 bought it 84 had it till 1998, loved riding out west Elk hunting in the old 5 them wide tires did not like snow much :D:D Great post

Nothing wrong with that. Post your pics and thanks for the story.:chug:

Yep, at least in the hinterlands, Jeeps, guns, hunting, and harvested game are all in the same pot. I don't think there are any (or very few) people that frequent Jeep related sites that would take offense to any of those pictures. Certainly not me. I once had a bull moose in the back of my CJ5. That did make it ride a little low in the back.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks