Oil pump replacement buy with new tube or use old

Oil pump replacement buy with new tube or use old

Techlight

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7: 4.2l i6 (mild cam), Team Rush, Howell TBI, T5, D300, D30-front, AMC20-rear, 33/10.5/15 BFG A/T's........................

1964 Kaiser CJ5 (sold),
1960 Willy's CJ5 (sold)
Hi All,

I'm about to put a new re-manufactured engine in my 84 CJ7 and figured I'd replace the oil pump while i'm there.

Do I need any special tools to attach the tube and screen to the pump? I can buy a Melling pump only for about 60 bucks. The pump and tube/screen is about 160 so I was hoping to use the old tube and screen.

Any advice? Should I just buy the pump/screen/tube new or reuse tube/screen?

Thanks.

The pickup tube can be a royal pain to swap. Heat the old pump to remove.
That said the new one might not come installed so your in the same situation.

You can make a tube driver by cutting a piece of pipe off at an angle or buy the tool for it.

Either way you need to take a reference measurement to the bottom of oil pan subtract 3/8-1/2” and install the new pump on the engine set the pickup tube to that height reference mark the angle then take the pump off and install the tube- don’t try to beat it on installed in the block.

Once pickup tube is installed tape a 3/8-1/2” drill bit to the screen couple dabs of grease and set the pan down to check for clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a new Melling, didn't come with tube installed -pain. Wished it had. Get new tube - doable

Thanks for the replies...I ended up ordering all new. I'll look into making that tool or having my local shop do it for me maybe.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks