Oil leak at sending unit

Oil leak at sending unit

splntrp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 with D44 rear, D30 front, D300 transfer case, 4.2L
I've got an oil leak where the oil pressure sending unit is on the block. I've been researching trying to find out what all was involved to take the sending unit out and either clean or replace to stop the oil leak, but things are not matching up.

Did the factory 86 CJ7's come with an electrical or mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Mine is mechanical and I may have broke the small tube or something near the block when I was working on the wiring harness recently. What is involved with fixing that? Can I just tighten the fittings or do I need to cut the end of the tube off and then put it back together? Is it a compression type fitting? Do I have to "prime" the small hose when I put it back together, if so how? etc.. etc.,

Thanks. Im at work at the moment and decided to leave it home at lunch due to the oil leak. I'll take a picture later today when I get home.

It's a plastic line. When I got home I cleaned the oil off and started the jeep and could see oil coming out of the top of the connections. So I think I'm either going to have try to tighten the connections or take it apart cut the end and put it back together.

Loosen the nut nearest the line. Remove fitting and you'll see the 1/8 brass ferrel you can buy at Home Depot and such. Is the line cracked? If not, retighten and ck for leaks.
If the line is broken. Cut line and install new ferrel and tighten down good and snug.
LG

I made it worse by tightening it up......
Think I'm just going to go get the copper or brass (whatever it is) tubing tomorrow and redo it. Anything to know ahead of time? I saw something about making a loop in it when using that type tubing?

Did you remove the fitting first, for inspection?
LG

Yes, you could tell that it was old and very brittle. There wasn't any obvious cracks or holes. I put it back together and started the jeep and tried to tighten it down more while the jeep was running to see if it would stop leaking but it just got worse.

I would go with the copper line and be careful with any bends you must make.
Copper will kink without warning.
LG

Picked up the copper kit at lunch. It has a small black piece in it. Is that a grommet for the firewall or does it go elsewhere? It has ferrel and nuts and adapters but no mention of what the small black piece is. Its an equus brand part number 9901. Going to try to install this afternoon.

Picture would really be of help here.;)
LG

It was a very small grommet. I got it all hooked up this afternoon. Hopefully I'll be good for a few days now until the next thing breaks.

You don't want that copper line, riding on the sheet steel of where it goes through the firewall.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks