Engine Oil leak at filter

Engine Oil leak at filter

JMark

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ-7, 258, Sniper EFI, AX15, Dana 300 HD Outputs Twin Stick 4:1, York OBA, D60, D44 Locked F&R
Hello folks,

Seems like i have a bit of a leak coming from where the oil filter meets the block on my 258.
It's a '76-79 block, recently remanufactured. Any thoughts? is there an adapter oring or something similar?

Thanks!

I have heard about this but have never seen it. image.png

Can you tighten down any more?
Gary

Did the filter seal come off with the old filter? I have seen where they stay stuck to the motor when you remove the filter.

Did the filter seal come off with the old filter? I have seen where they stay stuck to the motor when you remove the filter.
That happened to my dad many years ago, put on new filter didn't notice old seal, finished up got in drove around bit, lost all of the oil and killed the engine. Always check for old seal.

Filter is on tight and it's a remanufactured motor. Therefore it's the first filter on the new motor.

Quite frustrating. This happened on the old motor and the last remanned (had a defective long block recently)

What brand filter & PN?
I only use WIX.
Gary

i normally run wix filters (51258) , the guy that put the engine in used a carquest 85258HD.

I got a rubber strap wrench on it and gave it another 1/4 turn with some difficulty. seems to have subsided for now but i'll verify by cleaning up around there and checking closely.

Swap it for a WIX
Gary

I've got break-in SAE30 in there as it's the inital oil fill, going to change it soon and will swap for one of those WIX filters i keep stock of.

Nothing wrong with a Wix...but some others get a bad name for some odd reason. I have an HP5 Fram on mine, I believe the same one fits your 258.

you should not have to tighten it anymore than hand tight. I think you have something else going on that is causing the leak.

I run K&N filters (PS-2003) on my 258 and have not had an issue with leaking yet, at least not from the filter.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quick update:

Cranking down on the old filter fixed it. found out why when i did my oil change and replaced it with a wix:
the guy that did the engine swap put the filter on dry (no oil on the gasket) gasket was stuck to the block, took a little manipulation to pop it off. Then i took a nylon brush and some solvent and cleaned up any paint on the sealing surface before putting the good 'ol wix 51258 on there and tightening it down, no leaks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom