NV4500 Buyer Beware

NV4500 Buyer Beware
Hopefully you little one is doing better. gert, this was what I saw with my own eyes. I also have read on one of the forums to watch for cracked bell housings!

Yep family is good Noah is getting fat and happy now, he had a little bit of a rough start. 111c571caf2c5b53ab2b801af769a9ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see he is doing better and before you know it, he will be in the garage help you on the jeep. 🖒🖒

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Finally got my new 5th gears for the trans. I have the early 6.34 transmission which has a different ratio on the 5th gear. Dont mix and match these gears the pitch is different. Swap them as a set. IMG_2105_zpsplymjn8s.jpg

5th gear shifter fork is also something to watch out for. My old fork is cracked straight down both dowel pin holes. The dowel pins have a taper to them so that they will only go in and out one way. They are also stronger than the cheap dowel pins from the hardware store. It looks like they are 2-3 wall thickness. So it looks like some dingle berry PO drove my dowel pins straight thru the shifter fork cracking it on both pin holes. In compairing my old fork and the new fork, the old fork is heavier and has rounded edges. The new fork is lighter with sharp flat edges and rough cut machine work on the machined surfaces.
IMG_2108_zpsqrgdsewk.jpg

New 5th gears installed, waiting on paycheck still to shim the main shaft to be able to finish trans rebuild, new 5th shifter fork installed permanent.
IMG_2110_zpshnkd4ygo.jpg

I want to have the option of running a later model NV4500 if necessary later down the road so my plan was to get the NV4500 bell housing from Advance Adapters and drill my case to match since there is enough room on the front face of the trans for both bolt patterns. I was staring at the front input the other day and realized that the early trans like mine takes a different input bearing, cup and bearing retainer than the later models. 5.125 vs 5.6 inches. I also realized that boring the case out was not going to be an option due to the bolt pattern on the retainer. So that leads me to the machine shop to fab up a spacer ring to make up the difference between the two. Something else to be aware of
IMG_2112_zpswqqsihgo.jpg

Having access to a lathe is awesome, I have my new input retainer on the way and my spacer ring is complete, This will allow me to run the later 5.6 pilot bell housing with my early low gear 5.125 input
IMG_2140_zpssxouztes.jpg

so jealous

:drool::drool:

My last parts to finish the build on my trans is here, this is the adapter ring I spun up to adapt the early bearing retainer to the later bell housing

IMG_2153_zpsffscf24l.jpg

I got the correct concave washer and nut to go with my 23 spline output shaft, the 3 peice washer does not fit unless it specically says it fits 23 spline shafts. Make sure you get the concave washer, that provides extra tension to keep the nut from backing off, 270 foot pounds is alot and its really hard to hold the trans steady

IMG_2156_zpszgfaipix.jpg

IMG_2155_zpsuupq1ibu.jpg

I am still going to re torque the 5th gear nut when I get some help and then seal the rear adapter housing and top cover up but here is what it looks like done. The 29 spline shafts have a bigger nut and take even more torque than the 23 spline I have

IMG_2157_zpsfg4tw79u.jpg
IMG_2158_zpseouizvb4.jpg

looks like I will have the Bell housing on order friday, this is how she sits right now waiting to go back in the Jeep
IMG_2177_zpswlutue4d.jpg

Oh wow, so much more to that story LOL maybe I need to update it

Now just a 4 speed ? :poke:

8e72147bc16e698e0109d9ada60a3c05.jpg
29c91a19d3b94f5ecf4aa9534a97dfc2.jpg

Its been a long time but im finally trying to build my cracked case

4ecdbbc4d2b41ed11c4ee7e56b9cbdd0.jpg
Sweet Another one built

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks