NP435 Conversion.

NP435 Conversion.

jafo

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 304 V8 3 speed.
Well, long time coming but I have started on the trans swap on my 79 CJ7. Health issues and life in general has kept me from getting it going but necessity has dictated and required I get it started. Pulled the rear drive shaft, unhooked the speedo cable, went topside to remove the stick shifter and boots. Also got my retractable seat belts installed as well. Ran out if time.

Next steps will be to remove the trans bolts, go under to get the bottom bolts then use my ATV to secure the whole assembly, drop the six skid plate bolts and take the front drive shaft lose and then slide it out and down.

I have taken this trans out a couple times. But I have an NP435 to go in it's place. It has a d300 tranfer case bolted to that. Should be a good setup.

To anyone here who has done this swap. How do you like it and what were some of the issues if any you ran into?

Anyone use the stock skid plate on this swap?

How about reverse light hook ups? What did you do for that?

Just an update. It's finally in. I had some Tom Woods driveshafts built and came out great. I can say it was a very tight fit, which I guess is good. I have to shim my pinion up but no biggy. I have drove it a ways also and runs through the hears good. The NP435 gear ratios match up well with my 3.45 ratios. I have my twin stick D300 now as well. I figured out how to use my stock skid plate as well without carving it up. But I will exchange it for an aftermarket at some point. Things left are exhaust y-pipe clearance issues, boot for the shifter, and that's about it. Glad to get it done. I'm glad I did the conversion.

So how did it go with the reverse lights ?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks