New type of CJ speedo

Man that is nice. Not unrealistic. You are really getting a nice set. Too rich for me

Sent from my Galaxy S3 with Taptalk 2

That's a pretty sweet set of gauges. I hear what you guys are saying, $500-$700 seems steep, but when you add up the cost of individual gauges plus sending units from Autometer or Stewart Warner you're going to spend at least that much, even the comparable kit from Dakato Digital costs about the same.

Those are pretty slick. Seems like another member used something really similar in a build thread?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Looks good for a cj. To rich for me but as others have said probably about the same as others when you add it all up.
I like the inclinometer that tells you when you are about to tip over.:rolleyes: Usually my butt pucker tells me that.:D

$150 for Omix that will blow the fuel meter gauge movement in a month, speedo that is way off calibration because Dana 20 is such a chore to change the gear, speedo cable that pulses from day it was new because wire seems to be kinked, wire too long for the sheath that needs cut back some (but not too much), replacement speedo cable because you cut it too much...

Alternately, one could buy a new blank dash, or a custom dash, stuff it full of all of the individual gauges instead of a cluster, use a basic speedo of whatever diameter you like...

Solutions for failed 40-yr old speedo clusters are not cheap no matter what path one chooses. I'd be happy with a basic replacement that wasn't a turd like the Omix units. I'd pay double the Omix price for a stock-style replacement that was reliable. But alas, such a unit does not exist. I for one am happy to see a $500 quality cluster for a CJ available, and may just purchase one at some point (when everything else is "done"). Few manufacturers bother to serve the CJ market anymore. Try finding a winch bumper or swing-out carrier for a CJ.

Chilly

bump from the dead. not a single gauge worked in my 86 except the speedo, and the KM was closer to my actual speed than the MPH, so i bit the bullet. found a discount code online and got 10 or 15% off and i love the gauges. the GPS speedo works perfectly. the only part i am not 100% happy with is the tach - it is pretty far off. at idle it reads maybe 200 and at WOT it barely gets to 2500. if i had to do it again i would skip the tach but live and learn i guess.

Attachments

• IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 72
All the tachs I have worked with have a setting for 4/6 or 8 cyl. have you looked for a setting it sounds like it is set for something other than what you have.

good catch. it was set for 8cyl.

according to the instructions the increments are 2(4cyl), 2.5(no cyl rating), 3(6cyl), 4(8cyl). mine was on 4(8cyl). i went down to 3 and the idle went to about 500, wot was 4k. i tried 2.5 and got the same readings, then got yelled at for revving the engine at 11pm :) i'll try the 2 setting tomorrow and see what happens.

good catch. it was set for 8cyl.

then got yelled at for revving the engine at 11pm :) i'll try the 2 setting tomorrow and see what happens.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::chug: been there before cant believe people didnt call the cops on me

i played with it all all settings and everything reads the same for all 4cyl and 6cyl settings - idle shows around 500-600, 4k wot. it's better than when it was set for 8cyl so i can live with it. in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter and i don't need a tach but if i had known i would have saved the money.

Man they are sweet gauges, I'm saving this for when I go to paint my jeep I think I'm going to add them then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i played with it all all settings and everything reads the same for all 4cyl and 6cyl settings - idle shows around 500-600, 4k wot. it's better than when it was set for 8cyl so i can live with it. in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter and i don't need a tach but if i had known i would have saved the money.

I see on the original speedhut link it says they have a lifetime warranty on the electronics, I think you should call them up and get them to fix your tachometer you paid a lot of money for the gauges and they should work

I see on the original speedhut link it says they have a lifetime warranty on the electronics, I think you should call them up and get them to fix your tachometer you paid a lot of money for the gauges and they should work

i did, and they said it is operating as it should. there is also a small problem with the voltage gauge. at rest it reads 12 but while running it reads a constant 15, never a fluctuation from idle to wot. called them up and they had the audacity to accuse my shop of opening the gauge up, which of course didn't happen. got the same old line - we have sold thousands of these gauges and that has never happened before (just like any computer problem - no matter who you call it is always the other companies fault). testing at the battery shows ~14.5. they wanted me to take the dash out and measure at the gauge, so when i have some free time or if something else goes wrong i will tackle it then and we will see how good the "lifetime" warranty is.

both "problems" are inconsequential and nothing that will stop me from driving so i can live with it for a while. i am just happy i know how fast i am going and how much gas i have.

i did, and they said it is operating as it should. there is also a small problem with the voltage gauge. at rest it reads 12 but while running it reads a constant 15, never a fluctuation from idle to wot. called them up and they had the audacity to accuse my shop of opening the gauge up, which of course didn't happen. got the same old line - we have sold thousands of these gauges and that has never happened before (just like any computer problem - no matter who you call it is always the other companies fault). testing at the battery shows ~14.5. they wanted me to take the dash out and measure at the gauge, so when i have some free time or if something else goes wrong i will tackle it then and we will see how good the "lifetime" warranty is.

both "problems" are inconsequential and nothing that will stop me from driving so i can live with it for a while. i am just happy i know how fast i am going and how much gas i have.

wow not so nice customer service then that really sux :mad:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks