Blue CJ6

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ6
L-Head, T-90, Dana 18, Stock Axles 4.27 gears
1979 CJ5
304 V-8, T150, Dana 20, Stock Axles 3.54 gears
I'm in the process of purchasing a 77' CJ5 out of Montrose CO. Looking forward to it. I was bummed have to sell my 79'CJ5 this summer. It had a V8 and a 3 speed. I replaced the 401 intake and 4 barrell carter carb that the PO had put on my old 79' with a stock 2 barrell intake and motorcraft 2150 carb. I did the Team Rush upgrade on it as well. I really enjoyed working on it and making it better. The 77' that I'm purchasing has the 258 and T18 tranny. Here are a couple pics of the engine bay that the owner sent me today. Looks like it has a Offenhauser intake and headers on it. I can't tell what carb is under the air cleaner. Maybe the stock Carter? If it is, I'd like to change it over to a Motorcraft 2100. I will be doing the Team Rush upgrade on this one too. I will have to get a Reman distributor from a 79' 258 to do the upgrade. I'm not familiar with the Offenhauser intake or having headers. What are some opinions on these, and can anyone tell what carb it is from the linkage visible in the pic?
Thanks,
DaveIMG_3568.jpegIMG_3569.jpeg

Congrats on the purchase. Shame you had to sell the other, but what joy to get another. In the pics, looks like the steering shaft's been rubbing the header a bit. The manual brakes could use an upgrade to power (IMO). In terms of opinion on the Offenhauser intake, they have a good reputation, though I've never used one personally. Seems to me on an I6 engine (vs a V8 for which they make a dual plane version), I wouldn't expect a huge difference or increase in power/torque; but you may see a slight amount as some have claimed they did. The headers will help some. I can't tell on the carb either.

Congrats on the purchase. Shame you had to sell the other, but what joy to get another. In the pics, looks like the steering shaft's been rubbing the header a bit. The manual brakes could use an upgrade to power (IMO). In terms of opinion on the Offenhauser intake, they have a good reputation, though I've never used one personally. Seems to me on an I6 engine (vs a V8 for which they make a dual plane version), I wouldn't expect a huge difference or increase in power/torque; but you may see a slight amount as some have claimed they did. The headers will help some. I can't tell on the carb either.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to it! I will keep an eye on the distance there between the steering shaft and the header. Thanks again for the reply.

Looks like a cryer/edelbrock 4 barrel on the intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully it’s not 500 cfm or more, because it sounds like that’s too much for the 258. Sounds like a lot of folks like the Holley 390.

Here’s a pic from the owner. It’s an Edlebrock 1404, with manual choke. From what I read, sounds like when you get them dialed in they stay tuned pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpeg
    IMG_3586.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 3
  • Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
It keeps its tune, parts and kits are everywhere and it has been around for a while. You can buy a complete tune / calibration kit for it (if you want to fine tune.)
That’s good to know. Thanks for the link too. Do these do good off-road? I don’t do any rock crawling or anything like that, just old mining trails up in the mountains here in CO. They get fun when they’ve been washed out a bit so you can get some flex and get to use the suspension. Hopefully the Edlebrock 1404 will do ok running around up there.

It's not an extreme off-road carb per say but can be setup a little better than out of the box for more approach or departure angles by changing the float spring to Edelbrock spring # 1465.
See page nine of the attached PDF manual.

Attachments

• carb-owners-manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks