new seats

new seats

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
I might have to replace my seats. I want to keep away from the racing type. Has anyone used the Smittybuilt high backs or The Bestop?

Can you rebuild/recover your OEM seats?
LG

I have them at the upholster right now. The foam is totally done in. The frame has no supports just foam. It might be more cost affective to go new. It does not take long to get the shop rate to a point were new would be smarter. Waiting for the word. Good thing he is a straight shooter.

I have a set of bestops in my rig and their about an inch thicker and longer than stock seats. If you are small, You may get away without any modification to the seat brackets. I lost my boyish figure years ago and had to shorten the drivers side bracket so I would fit between the seat and steering wheel.

I swapped in Bestops and found them to be quite larger, putting me closer to the steering wheel and to the roll cage. I got some help by installing their seat brackets and removing the adjusters. They are quite comfortable for older bones, but I think I should have just got them recovered with new padding.

007, When I got my Jeep the seats were the original low backs with covers over them. Once I took the covers off, I found that they were a total disaster. I didn't want to spend a big chunk of money at the time so I bought a set of these from Bestop:
39436-15%20High%20Back%20Bucket%20Seat_zpstbcaxe9a.jpg

Then later I put a set of GEAR Seat Covers by Smittybilt on them. I really like this option as it is handy for storage of little items, like raincoat, flashlight, and water.
GEAR%20Seat%20Covers_zpsgphk0wmx.jpg

Next time I would get the seats with the reclining option. Not a problem for me as I always seat up very straight, but for others........

I can already steer with my gut. I miss tilt steering I had in a CJ2a when I was a punk. My supplier was trying to steer me to Smittybuilt. I have Bestop in my 81 but the support must be gone because you just sink tell you hit the tubes. Are the seats you purchased holding up? I wonder if the Smittybuilt are as high?

Are the seats you purchased holding up?

Yes, had them for 6 years now and still good to go. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of them.

I'm 6'6", 250lbs and run the Corbeau JP Wide seats. They are a suspension seat which helps with the ride a bit but doesn't add a bunch of padding and thickness to do so. They've held up well and don't have a tall side bolster so you can get in and out pretty easy but they still hold you in pretty well. I did lower mine and push them back both an inch or so. I think they are thinner than the bestops etc.

2aa01ca87a9b5ccfc937f9d3bbdda4aa.jpg
c7c5e1f19b4ea79e2dd5377e823db56d.jpg
24a76fcb37af1d6660ad6924507ee6ba.jpg

Wooly

Last edited:
Then later I put a set of GEAR Seat Covers by Smittybilt on them. I really like this option as it is handy for storage of little items, like raincoat, flashlight, and water.
GEAR%20Seat%20Covers_zpsgphk0wmx.jpg

Next time I would get the seats with the reclining option. Not a problem for me as I always seat up very straight, but for others........

I also have these Gear seat covers. Very practical to put your stuffs and some tools.

how are you getting the smittybuilt covers to fit? i have the bestop seats and i tried the gear covers and couldn't get them to fit very well.

I'm 6'6", 250lbs and run the Corbeau JP Wide seats. They are a suspension seat which helps with the ride a bit but doesn't add a bunch of padding and thickness to do so. They've held up well and don't have a tall side bolster so you can get in and out pretty easy but they still hold you in pretty well. I did lower mine and push them back both an inch or so. I think they are thinner than the bestops etc.

2aa01ca87a9b5ccfc937f9d3bbdda4aa.jpg
c7c5e1f19b4ea79e2dd5377e823db56d.jpg
24a76fcb37af1d6660ad6924507ee6ba.jpg

Wooly

I have master craft Nomads, these are very close to the fit and price of these JP wides except they have layered foam (replaceable) and removable seat covers. They may even set lower than the JP by about 1/2" but I will not swear to that. As far as I have found there is no after market seat that does not set higher and more forward. I managed to fab pedestals to drop the height by 1 1/2" , notched the drivers side rear fender and installed a tilt column. I am 6-3 and 300 so I need the wheel as far from the belly as possible and with the stock pedestals my head was above the roll bar. Both of these seats will require a bit more work to get in and out of but they are both comfortable and hold you firmly by the butt to keep you from sliding around. They may not be what is wanted for a Mall crawler but I would recommend the nomad or the JP wide as being the best choice of an aftermarket seat. Compared to the nomad the Bestop seats are an embarrassment. I also wonder, is a later model CJ 7 the same width as a CJ5? I would have no need of reclining seats as they would run into the roll bar. I seem to remember the seats being 9* tilt which I think is the same as the roll bar.

I really like my mastercraft rubicon. Don't plan on buying any more. Got the seat covers for when she's in the barn.

I installed Corbeau's Baja RS seats in my B about 5 or 6 years back. No complaints and the adjustable/flip back has been really useful. However, the Smitty covers do not work with them. The bolsters are too high and the centers rip out of those covers. I did keep the back portion of the covers-handy for stashing all sorts of stuff.

Lot of photos of CJ7's here. CJ5's have a lot less room to work with, although 76+ is a little roomier than older.

If you don't have a tilt wheel, shop carefully...or you might not fit your CJ5 too well any more.

My Smitty low backs I bought last year are a little thicker/taller than stockers. The high backs look even worse in that regard. I barely fit in my 75 now...but that has the old non-tilt, tube column w/ the giant school bus steering wheel...oh and I'm a bit "husky" too. :D

Friend had Corbeau's - comfy - but bolsters = PITA getting in and out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks