New Mass State Inspection trouble for CJ7s?

New Mass State Inspection trouble for CJ7s?

soniccj7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 Work In Progress
I currently have a 1983 CJ7 with a 2 1/2" rancho lift(minus 1 leaf) and 31" tires. It also has an AMC 360 in place of the inline 6.

Does anyone know if the new inspection laws starting in October will prevent CJs like mine from passing?

I am in the process of a restoration and wanted to make sure what I buy does not cause me to fail inspection. Unfortunately, I already purchased a full suspension with 2-3" of lift using the OME spring CS037R.

Thank You,

ED

First, the Mass laws have not changed for inspecting vehicles
The new change involves installing 5 camera in the bay which the garage has to foot the bill.
The same company that screwed up the 2002 inspection (and was sited by the state) has won the bid to oversee the new project including viewing the video for 29 million for 5 years.
The law has been and continues to be unlawful for anything 2" over stock bumper height.
I'm sure no one at the state has the original stock bumper height of a CJ on file.
Inspect your Jeep in September.
Also, very small inspection tires come to mind.

I understand the laws have always been on the books, but now they are going to enforce them. My Jeep is currently unregistered and getting ready to undergo a full restoration, which includes a new frame, suspension, axles and possibly a new motor.

Before I sink time and money into it I wanted to get an idea where I need to be. If having a V8 causes the Jeep to fail inspection, I will instead buy a new inline 6.

I don't want to show up at the inspection station with a completly rebuilt CJ7 and be told it is not "safe" to drive in Massachusetts.

First, the Mass laws have not changed for inspecting vehicles
The new change involves installing 5 camera in the bay which the garage has to foot the bill.
The same company that screwed up the 2002 inspection (and was sited by the state) has won the bid to oversee the new project including viewing the video for 29 million for 5 years.
The law has been and continues to be unlawful for anything 2" over stock bumper height.
I'm sure no one at the state has the original stock bumper height of a CJ on file.
Inspect your Jeep in September.
Also, very small inspection tires come to mind.

All correct, inspector take a 2.5hrs class on how to takepics of vin plates ect.
theyll probably be sleeping vs watching cameras anyway. Just like all the programs that have come and gone since I became a tech in 98 just a way to catch people and make $ for the state in fines, theyre more worried about how dark your tint is. And the pics will be used against the stations if needed i'm sure.

your jeep should 100% still be safety check only.

Best thing you could do is visit your "go to" inspection station and ask.

Lift law in mass for 4x4 vehicles is ...wheelebase x track / 2200. Track may be increased by 4 inches with more wheel offset (no wheel spacers). 98.3x68.5/2200=3.06 four inch track incraese gets you 3.24

This is based on the tallest optional sized offered by the manufacturer for your vehicle. Wheelebase is measured center to center of the axles. Track is measured center of tread to center of tread on the same axle.

They measure at the center of the door opening usually.

Engine must pass smog check. Ex-wifes carbed 5.3 LS passes every-time.

My 440 jeep now lives on the cape and passes smog with no problem.
New owner did a spring under and highline fenders and it sits just under 4" over.

WOW-And I thought we had it bad in PRK(CA.). :eek:
All we have to do, is meet SMOG specs 'tighter' than when the vehicle was made. :rolleyes:
Respectfully, :notworthy:
LG

Yeah im kinda lovin ohio bumper height laws only apply to trucks and no yearly vehicle insp.

Ive never seen somany rusty vehicles in my life.

If it's the front bumper that is ck'd for height on a CJ.
Just mount it UNDER the frame, for the inspection......
Does anyone know what the highest allowed is? Do they measure to the bottom or top of the bumper?
Just wonder'n if mine would pass....
LG

Massachusetts Vehicle Check

Massachusetts Vehicle Check

Emissions Tests
All vehicles that are registered in Massachusetts must receive a safety inspection each year. Vehicles listed below must also receive the following types of emissions tests each year:

On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Test:

• Model year 2003 and newer passenger cars, trucks and SUVs
  • Model year 2003 and newer light-duty diesel vehicles (with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or "GVWR" of 8,500 pounds or less)
  • Model year 2007 and newer medium-duty diesel vehicles (with a GVWR of 8,501 to 14,000 pounds)
  • Model year 2008 and newer medium-duty non-diesel vehicles (with a GVWR of 8,501 to 14,000 pounds)

Opacity Test:
  • Medium- and heavy-duty diesel vehicles (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or greater) not equipped with OBD systems

OBD Testing
On-board diagnostics (OBD) inspections are an important part of Massachusetts Vehicle Check. No one wants to drive a vehicle that is wasting fuel or polluting. An inefficient engine or emissions control system adds air pollution to our region and reduces vehicle fuel economy. That’s why it’s important to make sure your vehicle is always in good repair, not just when you’re going to have it inspected. The OBD inspection looks for specific criteria, summarized below.
The Massachusetts Vehicle Check on-board diagnostic (OBD) emissions test is designed to ensure that your vehicle keeps running as cleanly as it was designed to run, which in turn protects the air we breathe.

The OBD test typically takes about three minutes. The inspector connects your vehicle's on-board computer to an analyzer in the station, and then downloads engine and emissions control data. The analyzer checks several OBD system functions:

Communication. Does your vehicle’s OBD system communicate with the analyzer? If your vehicle’s OBD system cannot communicate with the station’s analyzer, the OBD system must be repaired before the emissions test can be completed.
Readiness. Is your vehicle’s OBD system “ready” to be tested? As your vehicle drives, the OBD system checks the performance of various emissions-related components and systems. If the OBD system has not performed enough of these self-checks, your vehicle is “not ready” for an emissions test.
To pass the emissions test:

• 2003 and newer model year vehicles may have a maximum of one (1) “not ready” non-continuous monitor.
  • If the vehicle failed the emissions test with a catalytic converter-related diagnostic trouble code, the vehicle’s catalyst monitor must be “ready” to pass the retest.

What does the above, have to do with CJ's ? :confused:
LG

Ma measures at the center of the drivers door ground to rocker i believe. Ohio measures bottom of the bumper. The law states "if the bumper has been modified to conform to the law, the measurement will be taken from the lowest piont of the frame where the bumper mounts." But again yeah me jeeps are not trucks in ohio and the law applies to trucks not suv's

Cmon lg you know you want a 2003 or newer cj.

Before 08 or more than 15 yeqrs no smog anyway.

Last edited:
What does the above, have to do with CJ's ? :confused:
LG

'Model year 2003 and newer passenger cars, trucks and SUVs'
Everything else, meaning CJs, are exempt. At least, that's how it reads.

All vehicles must pass the safety inspection every year, but some vehicles are not required to complete an emissions test.
The following vehicles are exempt from emissions testing:
Diesel vehicles less than 8,500 lbs. that were manufactured before 2003 and/or are over 15 years old.
Diesel vehicles weighing up to 10,000 lbs. that were manufactured before 2007 and/or are over 15 years old.
Non-diesel medium duty vehicles that were manufactured before 2008 and/or are more than 15 years old.
Motorcycles and mopeds.
Military vehicles.
Electric powered vehicles.
Passenger vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs) manufactured before 2003 do not get a tailpipe emissions test, but must undergo the OBD test, if applicable. However, vehicles can fail a safety test if there is smoke coming from their tailpipe.

Doesn't look like there should be any issue with having a AMC 360. And good luck finding a shop with the stock CJ height. As long as it's not insane, 44s sticking a foot out of the fender flares, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much of an issue.

Doesn't look like there should be any issue with having a AMC 360. And good luck finding a shop with the stock CJ height. As long as it's not insane, 44s sticking a foot out of the fender flares, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much of an issue.

The plan is to have 31"s with the OME CS037R at all four corners. That shouldn't look insane.

The plan is to have 31"s with the OME CS037R at all four corners. That shouldn't look insane.

I'd think you'd be perfectly fine with that. The links above are for the new inspection rules, or so it seems. My inspection station never even looked twice at my 4inch lift and 35 inch tires.

I called my inspection place for you. The new inspection rules are more about cameras. The cameras are there to look at the dash, to make sure that newer cars don't have lights on, that the body doesn't have rot, and that license plates are in good condition. The same rules still apply for CJs, as well as all the exemption. Safety checks only. He asked about height, and I asked if he had the stock height on file, and he laughed and said "good point." The cameras also are looking at height, but again, if its not extreme, which yours won't be, then you should be all set.

Congrats on the 360. I love mine. Its the way my CJ7 should have come from the factory. Made it a completely difference animal.

Lift law in mass for 4x4 vehicles is ...wheelebase x track / 2200. Track may be increased by 4 inches with more wheel offset (no wheel spacers). 98.3x68.5/2200=3.06 four inch track incraese gets you 3.24

This is based on the tallest optional sized offered by the manufacturer for your vehicle. Wheelebase is measured center to center of the axles. Track is measured center of tread to center of tread on the same axle.

They measure at the center of the door opening usually.

Engine must pass smog check. Ex-wifes carbed 5.3 LS passes every-time.

My 440 jeep now lives on the cape and passes smog with no problem.
New owner did a spring under and highline fenders and it sits just under 4" over.

Not sure where your referring to but MA doesn't have a smog test for CJs just a safety check

ok, nothing is changing. its that simple . All of these rules have been in place for many years!

I'd think you'd be perfectly fine with that. The links above are for the new inspection rules, or so it seems. My inspection station never even looked twice at my 4inch lift and 35 inch tires.

I called my inspection place for you. The new inspection rules are more about cameras. The cameras are there to look at the dash, to make sure that newer cars don't have lights on, that the body doesn't have rot, and that license plates are in good condition. The same rules still apply for CJs, as well as all the exemption. Safety checks only. He asked about height, and I asked if he had the stock height on file, and he laughed and said "good point." The cameras also are looking at height, but again, if its not extreme, which yours won't be, then you should be all set.

Congrats on the 360. I love mine. Its the way my CJ7 should have come from the factory. Made it a completely difference animal.

Thank you for checking with another shop. Makes me feel better about my project.

Just got word that my frame should be shipping this week from TDK!!! I will create a build post when I have some progress to show.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks