New guy with a crusty CJ7 - continued

New guy with a crusty CJ7 - continued

RedbeardSask

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 Cj7 Laredo.
Hey all, got around to finally pulling the tub on the CJ today and found some rather questionable previous owner work. Here's a link to the backstory.

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f60/new-guy-crusty-cj7-30253/

Anyway it looks like the PO figured motor mounts were either overrated or too expensive because the motor was held up with 2 chunks of flatbar, bent in half with a single bolt. Niceeee

Also the drivetrain he pulled looks to me like a 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0? with trans and T Case, except the 242J TCase is a drivers side drop and the factory diff is passenger drop, so either i'm missing something here or the PO did before he pulled the motor. Thoughts?

Either way, I found the original gauge cluster for the motor in the back and its showing 395000kms so that motor is going in the bush and im on the hunt for something new. My buddy owns a junk yard with a load of Cherokees so im leaning towards 4.0 or he has a real fresh 350 and turbo 400 but id have to source a Tcase for it and everything that goes with the swap. Im open to ideas. tub should be going for sandblast this week, ill post pictures of whats left of it.

Attachments

• 20181217_205204.jpg
    20181217_205204.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 57
  • 20181217_205157.jpg
    20181217_205157.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20181217_213146.jpg
    20181217_213146.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 49
I'd go with a 4.0, but I'm a big fan of I6's. What your planned use of the old girl should dictate the trans to a degree, and you should be looking for a D300 for a T-case. If your not familiar with Novak, give their site a look-see, a wealth of trans info there.Some of the things PO's do never ceases to amaze ;)

i would go with the 4.0 as well, you can adapt the 4.0 fuel injection system over to your CJ and alot more parts will interchange

i wouldnt waste my time and money sand blasting that tub from the pics its already pretty badly rusted. you can source a jy tub (87-95) fairly cheap and there is very little that needs to be changed in order to use it on your cj. far less than the amount of work it would take to save/resurrect that tub

i wouldnt waste my time and money sand blasting that tub from the pics its already pretty badly rusted. you can source a jy tub (87-95) fairly cheap and there is very little that needs to be changed in order to use it on your cj. far less than the amount of work it would take to save/resurrect that tub

Agree...I bought the parts to replace pans on my 86 CJ7...sadly they were beyond repair...sourced a very good my tub for 500$ c and have been making the alterations ....nothing too challenging..except for several captive nuts replacement...just finished rhino lining inside and out..that stuff is tough..may not even bother carpeting now...best of luck..

.just finished rhino lining inside and out..that stuff is tough..may not even bother carpeting now...best of luck..

I rhino lined the inside of mine last spring and decided to forgo carpet and it has worked out pretty well. The only issue i had was I did not mask the drain holes in the floorboards as well as I should have and some scraping was required to make the plugs fit.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks