New Guy planning to buy.

New Guy planning to buy.

spectacle13

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Member Of The Hopeful
hey guys,

New member here hoping to trade for an 83' CJ7 and i've been lurking for days reading the various engine, trans, transfer case and axle threads plus the buyers guide and etc.

but i wouldn't mind a set of experienced eyes telling me if they think this is a good deal. the bike I'm planning on trading for this Cj is worth 6-6.5k

the listing for it is Jeep CJ7 4x4 OBO or trade

it's a 4cyl/4spd according to him.

the other issue I'm having is that the guy says that its an 83' and that the VIN number for the motor is a "U", which corresponds to the AMC 150 motor. but in https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/four-cylinder-engines-12310/ they say that the AMC motor wasn't used until 84' in the CJ.

is it possible he's got the year wrong or has anyone seen late production 83's with AMC motors in them?

thanks in advance!

Welcome,

He wants $6900 and it doesn't even have windshield wipers.
It's covered in bed liner
Not a fan of the 4cly engine and the light duty transmission
Thornbirds are the worst tires ever made for offroad
I bet it rides like a buckboard wagon with that 9" lift and 90° shackles
It does have 1 piece rear shafts (a good thing).
Sorry, but you wanted another set of eyes. Others may differ.
Personally, I wouldn't pay $1500 for it.

Welcome,

He wants $6900 and it doesn't even have windshield wipers.
It's covered in bed liner
Not a fan of the 4cly engine and the light duty transmission
Thornbirds are the worst tires ever made for offroad
I bet it rides like a buckboard wagon with that 9" lift and 90° shackles
It does have 1 piece rear shafts (a good thing).
Sorry, but you wanted another set of eyes. Others may differ.
Personally, I wouldn't pay $1500 for it.

Thank you, I bear you no ill will, you gave me exactly what I asked for, what could I possibly take offense to?

If you don't mind me asking, how can you tell that it has one piece shafts? Is there some difference in the wheel hubs?

My only concern with the bedliner is that it's being used to hide something.... even if not it seems like someone was too cheap/lazy to do any painting.

I agree with you on the thornbirds. I was actually planning to take them off and swap on some wrangler mts, toyos, or similar....

I also have a set of Dana 44s off a scout I was planning on putting under it in the future. :)

Again, Thank you for your input. I will definitely keep it in mind if I decide to go look at it in person.

If you don't mind me asking, how can you tell that it has one piece shafts? Is there some difference in the wheel hubs?

I also have a set of Dana 44s off a scout I was planning on putting under it in the future. :)
If the rear axle is the stock 20, in stock form, it will have a nut in the center of the rear wheel hole. No nut and their one piece shafts exactly like what is shown in the ad.

If your plans are to swap wheels, and replace axles you don't want to pay big for the Jeep.

AMC stock 20

k209xJrUS66wlI3CK4O2_36WlbBuRy6n8qVd9aRVv5RwfY0niw.jpg

Aftermarket shafts

DMAN-P1.jpg

I'm 100% with Posi on this one. What exactly are you looking to do with your Jeep?

Some dirt road riding, I'd like to get it where it can tow my swamp buggy...but that seems to be asking alot. Haha.

Mostly just love the classic CJs. I'm not much for rock crawling and I have a buggy built on a scout frame I'm finishing up for doing the mudding we do down where I'm from. It will probably do a lot of looking cool and a bit of offroading... :)

I hate seeing bedliner and chrome checkerplate armor. They're a tell tale of rust to be discovered. And if there's rust on the tub, there will be rust on the body mounts. It gets expensive fast, chasing that. The 4cyl with those tires is going to be a slug. Do you know if he's re-geared it? Does it come with hard top and doors? honestly, I think he's way high on price, as this is all sorts of undesirable in one package. I'd keep looking, there's better ones out there cheaper.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. After a long consideration, your criticisms are valid. With those in mind, it also occurs to me that for me to use this jeep for what I want (towing, etc) I would have to replace the entire drive train except for the transfer case.

So I will be declining to meet him for the trade. Thanks to everyone who replied. I may end up having to get a 4x4 pickup.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks