Temeaux

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
4.2l
Dana front and rear Stock
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum
Just purchased a1986 CJ7 that shows 80,000 on speedo who knows if that is right but it is all stock as far as I know it has Dana front and rear axels and a i6
I'm assuming is a 4.2 still has stock distributor with external coil I'm going to make a daily driver out of it and was wondering what upgrades should I do first
I know the heater doesn't work so I'm going to install a ac and heater kit in it
Possibly an Hei upgrade any help for a new guy would be helpful

First thing, you need is a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual(MR-252).
Haynes and the like are useless-
Do you have to smog test this Jeep??
That can limit what you can do.
LG

Look real hard at Moser 1 piece rear axles.
The OEM 2 piece is :dung: and a known issue.
LG

I would say your first priority would be to make sure everything is working right, as in proper maintaince. Your heater repair could be just a simple fix but research would help here, until then warm clothing would be the answer. Your oem ignition system is an excellent base to work from. It can be modified thru the "Team Rush" upgrade which will help with spark arcing under that small oem style distributor cap. I tend to go with all the repair manuals and online info I can get. In it last years the American Motors Co. fudged a bit on manufacturing and hopefully you can gain from us.

As this CJ is a 1986 model it could be that the rear is a Dana 44 which should be 1 piece shafts. Temeaux states that the rear is a Dana.

Dana made the AMC model 20, rear axle also.
The factory rear D/44 used on the last CJ's, was an odd-ball deal also.
LG

Temeaux,
I have a completely stock '86 CJ7 that I use to travel the 40 miles round trip to work. The truck is not really happy at high sustained speeds (Interstate highway), but does so without much complaining. I'm talking 70+ mph here, with 235-75-15 AT tires. I get mid-16 to low-17 mpg, though I don't really try for high numbers. I'm running the factory ignition 'cause it hasn't broken yet. That said, an up-grade to the ignition system would be my FIRST performance mod. Do not ignore the condition of tires, brakes, and drivetrain fluids. Any problem there at speed won't be good. Good luck!

Stephen

Personally I would take inventory of what I had. Then make sure your brakes are good at whatever cost. Bad brakes can get you in to more trouble than low power can...and quicker! Do read the thread listed above. Great words there...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another 2 cents here. -- I'm in the middle of a complete frame off restoration of my 79 CJ7. All of the bushings and seals need replacing. Basically anything that is rubber should be looked at. Replacing these things will prevent premature ware of the parts they protect and it should be easier before they fail. Fluids change too, like engine oil, transmission, TC, Brake Fluid, Diffs, etc. Then think about what you might want to upgrade or change. Good luck with your new jeep, and have some fun. :grinjeep: Rod

Another 2 cents here. -- I'm in the middle of a complete frame off restoration of my 79 CJ7. All of the bushings and seals need replacing. Basically anything that is rubber should be looked at. Replacing these things will prevent premature ware of the parts they protect and it should be easier before they fail. Fluids change too, like engine oil, transmission, TC, Brake Fluid, Diffs, etc. Then think about what you might want to upgrade or change. Good luck with your new jeep, and have some fun. :grinjeep: Rod

I'm also into a complete build, but before that I did a lot of checking fluids, brakes, etc. I also did the Team Rush ignition upgrade, and that's a good start.

Dana made the AMC model 20, rear axle also.
The factory rear D/44 used on the last CJ's, was an odd-ball deal also.
LG

Lumpy-

I said “could” be. Last of the 1986 CJ as we all know run were.Dana 44s. In my mind a CJ Dana 44 is better than a CJ AMC20 any day of the week. Granted neither is perfect.
:chug:

Seen more than a couple '86 CJ's that were OEM w/Dana 20 rear.;)
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks