New Guy checking in

New Guy checking in

itshawgood

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7, 258, D44, D30, D300, NV3550
Just purchased an '86 CJ7 and wanted to say hello. I joined about 5 months ago just to start getting info about CJs. My wife and I started renting XJs in Hawaii on vacation years ago. I really enjoy driving them, but they just don't seem to have any soul.

Anyway, I've driven probably half a dozen, and settled on this one. It's an '86 with a factory Dana 44 rear, a/c, and cruise control. It's a California jeep that I drove down to get and tow back to WA. No rust. PO installed a hydraulic clutch and an NV3550. He wheeled it a bit. You can see in the pic where he bottomed out his suspension and flared out the rear wheel well. Other side is the same.

I'm just going to clean it up for now, follow the guidance in the "jeep is home, what do I do now" thread, and drive it. I do want to replace the tires with 31s, currently 33s. Have no intention of driving it like the previous owner did. Probably new shocks. It's on a 2.5" lift, and he said they are wider Rubicon springs? (YJ conversion? I don't know how to tell)

Sorry for the long intro. Thanks for all the great information here. I don't know if this is a perfect jeep, but you all have compiled so much data here that I'm pretty confident I can change things that I want as I go along. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20180112_164023.jpg
    20180112_164023.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 86
Figuring out what you want to do with that thing is a pretty important decision, the way I see it. Sounds like it is set up pretty good. YJ springs have the same width and length on all four springs where the CJ springs are narrower up front and shorter. The YJ types will provide a better ride. On the '86 w/Dana 44 rear, they did come with a 9/16" rear u-bolts, you might want to check that also. For shocks I would suggest an expensive off-road type, I like the Rancho adjustables and set them as soft as they will go. Other guys like them as cheap as they can get. I also like to suggest joining a Jeep club. Welcome to the forum, maybe you can make the perfect Jeep.

Wow welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ww: looks to be a nice Jeep enjoy it.

Nice Jeep!

I agree with you. The CJ is a real Jeep! Lots of soul as you say.

Good luck!

Figuring out what you want to do with that thing is a pretty important decision, the way I see it. Sounds like it is set up pretty good. YJ springs have the same width and length on all four springs where the CJ springs are narrower up front and shorter. The YJ types will provide a better ride. On the '86 w/Dana 44 rear, they did come with a 9/16" rear u-bolts, you might want to check that also. For shocks I would suggest an expensive off-road type, I like the Rancho adjustables and set them as soft as they will go. Other guys like them as cheap as they can get. I also like to suggest joining a Jeep club. Welcome to the forum, maybe you can make the perfect Jeep.
He did say the springs he put on would make the ride softer. I was looking at pro comp adjustable shocks, but the ranchos seem to have a wider adjustment range, so i may go with them instead. I'll also check the u-bolts. Thanks for the info.

He did say the springs he put on would make the ride softer. I was looking at pro comp adjustable shocks, but the ranchos seem to have a wider adjustment range, so i may go with them instead. I'll also check the u-bolts. Thanks for the info.

Which Ranchos are you looking at for the 2 1/2 in lift ? Mine are very old and I probably need to check and replace them

Which Ranchos are you looking at for the 2 1/2 in lift ? Mine are very old and I probably need to check and replace them
I was looking at the RS9000XL. Part # RANRS99913 for front and RANRS999118 for the rear for the 2.5" lift.

Welcome to the forum that's a very nice rig you have I'm a new member myself you will really like this group of people . Their very friendly funny and helpful I've been in a Ford truck forum for ten years and those people are nothing close to this group .It's true that jeep folks are the best folks .As for your jeep my opinion don't skimp on shocks or tires just drive and enjoy

Welcome new guy.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I already have a question/problem. I'll post in the right forum, but the brake light is staying on after towing it up here. Wasn't on when I drove it. Brakes feel the same, but it had been a few weeks, so my memory could be wrong.

Sounds like the brake light switch sticking.

:ww::dbanana::banana:

X2 on sticky B/L switch. Put some silicon spray on it.
Also-Work the turn signal switch(power OFF)up and down a couple dozen times.
The brake lights are routed through the turn signals, dirt in that area causes all kinds of weird tail light issues.
LG

The emergency brake light switch can get sticky sometimes as there is a switch for it near the pedal, if not check the brake fluid level as there is a sensor on the brake proportioning valve.

:laugh::laugh::agree:

Very good point, as I had forgotten about the P/V sensor.
Think'n my CRS, has moved up to C.R.A.F.T.(can't remember a fuk'n thing). :laugh:
LG

When I read break light I was thinking in the back not on the dash. Torxhead understands better than I.

:laugh::laugh::agree:

Very good point, as i had forgotten about the p/v sensor.
Think'n my crs, has moved up to c.r.a.f.t.(can't remember a fuk'n thing). :laugh:
Lg

h g o

Sorry, that wasn't clear It is the "BRAKE" light in the speedometer. After a search, there are several threads on the subject to get me started with troubleshooting. I'm going to change all the fluids, and bleeding brakes is on the list. I'll check the emergency brake sensor as well. Just thought it was odd that it appeared after towing it.

First-Clean the contact and the connector on the proportioning valve.
CK the PV for leakage-
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks