Need input on front rotor removal

Need input on front rotor removal

SpartyJeep94

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 CJ5, 258
Hello Everyone! I am a new member to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 1980 CJ5 and I need to replace the front brake rotors. I have read many forum posts as well as the Haynes manual about doing this. Everything I have read says that once the locking hub and the locking mechanism are removed there should be a couple of spindle nuts and washers that need to be removed to remove the hub. I have gotten the locking hub and mechanism off however I do not see a spindle nut behind that. I see a smooth, round piece that does not have any flats on it for a spindle nut socket (which I purchased prior to starting the job). I have attached a picture so that you all can see what I am looking at. It also looks like the previous owner worked on it with a chisel at some point. Any input on how to remove that piece so that I can get the hub off would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Jeep Hub.jpg
    Jeep Hub.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 68
I'm pretty sure the nut is still down there.

Thanks for the feedback! Every picture/video I have seen on YouTube and in the forums show the nut should be the next thing after removing the locking mechanism. I have tried just about everything I can think of to remove the round piece and it won't budge. So if the nut is there how do I get to it?

May need a set of Channel-lock pliers.
You may have the round Ford spindle nut.
Does it have 4 pin holes in it?
BTW-You REALLY need to get a copy of the real FSM.
Why you replacing the rotor??
OLG

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to replace the rotors because the pads were down to bare metal and the rotors have deep grooves in them. I don't see any pin holes in the nuts either. I could try some channel locks and see how that goes. Does anyone know where I could get a FSM? I'll do some research on Ford spindle nuts too.

I've been looking at some videos of disassembling the 30 front hubs and it looks to me like that's your bearing in the picture you posted. I'd say there is no nut on there. Can you pull that out? Can you pull the rotor off or wiggle it at all??

I'm going to say that either the locking hub piece came apart and you're seeing the broken half still on the shaft or you're looking at the wheel bearing.

Can you get a couple flat blade screw drivers in there and pry a little and see if anything wants to move??

Check this picture and tell us if this is what you took apart.

http://i.imgur.com/4WBe6y1.jpg

It's possible that the small bearing at the far left of the picture is where you are at. Maybe?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks