Engine Need a Radiator for an 84 4 Banger

Engine Need a Radiator for an 84 4 Banger

poppatello

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 Cj, 4 Banger, 4.5 BDS Lift, 35" KM2, Twin Stick, Nuttered...
I need a new radiator for my 84 Cj with the AMC 2.5. I have been looking everywhere and no one seems to sell a radiator for the L4.

I tried an L6 radiator for the 258 and I am unable to use the L4 fan shroud and it overheated on me when it got hot out. Anyone have any tips on what they did? I don't want another used one. I have one of those now. No re-core shops in my area anymore. Guess it's a dying trade.

The old radiator specs are total size 27.5 x 21 core size 17.5 x 15.

Thanks...

I know auto zone has them, but they are chinee :dung:. Ask me how I know. Only good thing was life time guarantee.

Kept getting new life time free ones. I’m swapping out the engine for a inline 6 and got my money back also

Summit shows one here: Summit Racing Link
Their part # SUM-382056
thank you. I already checked them and they don't have any and not getting anymore in. I guess I'll have to do the Taurus radiator swap with electric fans. I was trying to avoid that as I hear the fans are :dung:.

thank you. I already checked them and they don't have any and not getting anymore in. I guess I'll have to do the Taurus radiator swap with electric fans. I was trying to avoid that as I hear the fans are :dung:.
I have that in my '84 CJ7. I have an aftermarket rad made for a GM swap (hose connections reversed) and used a Taurus dual fan setup. Works great on my 420HP "ZZ6" engine. The fan was brand new and readily available on Amazon, along with the needed connector plugs. My ECM controls the low and high fan functions through a couple of relays, relying on the CTS signal to turn them on/off.

I have that in my '84 CJ7. I have an aftermarket rad made for a GM swap (hose connections reversed) and used a Taurus dual fan setup. Works great on my 420HP "ZZ6" engine. The fan was brand new and readily available on Amazon, along with the needed connector plugs. My ECM controls the low and high fan functions through a couple of relays, relying on the CTS signal to turn them on/off.
I'll mention that to my buddy for his new CJ project. We'll just finish installing the new wheel and tires on the Silverado and clear the garage and take her in.

Here's the one on Amazon that I purchased brand new. Fan Assembly

And here's the pigtail connector you'll need. Connector Plug

You'll need one connector for each fan, plus a 3rd one if you will use the resistor block built into the fan shroud to provide a low and high speed option. I recommend you do this as just hitting both fans with full juice all at once is taxing on your electrical system. These fans draw about 22 amps EACH at full speed. So having two relays, one that connects through the resistor block to provide a low speed for initial startup, then another that bypasses the resistor block for high or full speed afterward is recommended. My EMC has two fan control outputs where I can program the temp at which each is enabled. So at 160 degrees, the first signal turns on a relay and starts the fans at half speed through the resistor block. Then at 185 degrees, the second relay is turned on and bypasses the resistor and the fans crank up to full speed. Now some people have wired these so that only one fan comes on at a lower temp, then the second one kicks on at a higher temp. That bypasses the resistor block and avoids starting both at full speed at the same time. The issue I have with that approach is that you are only drawing air through one side of the radiator until you get hot enough to start up the second fan. Plus one fan gets a lot more use than the other and is prone to earlier failure.

I need a new radiator for my 84 Cj with the AMC 2.5. I have been looking everywhere and no one seems to sell a radiator for the L4.

I tried an L6 radiator for the 258 and I am unable to use the L4 fan shroud and it overheated on me when it got hot out. Anyone have any tips on what they did? I don't want another used one. I have one of those now. No re-core shops in my area anymore. Guess it's a dying trade.

The old radiator specs are total size 27.5 x 21 core size 17.5 x 15.

Thanks...
try Be Cool all aluminum and really work.

Doesn't Cold Case make one for the L4?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks