Narrow track to Wide Track.. some questions

Narrow track to Wide Track.. some questions

smbundy13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258 I6, SR4, D300. Power steering, power brakes. Stock axles stock susp. Gentle rehab in progress.
I have found a set of W/T axles for my '80 '7.

I am planning to swap the 6 bolt hubs from my n/t axles to the w/t.

Question 1 - when i swap the hubs, do i need to use the N/T calipers or do i use the w/t calipers?

are there any differences in the Rotors between w/t and n/t axles?

Question 2 - I have seen that you have to adjust the rear brake line for the w/t. can someone elaborate on that? what needs to be changed?

thanks very much.

Have you check'd the W/T front hubs to be sure they are not 5 bolt?
Not sure what you mean about the rear brake line.
LG

im sure about the front but as for the back you need to change the rear brake line as the axle is wider hence the name. i usually change all the metal lines and wheel cylinders any way just to be safe but you can get away with just changing the brake line. (if your new axle doesnt already have the brake line that is) you can bend them yourself or spend the money on pre bent lines.

Have you check'd the W/T front hubs to be sure they are not 5 bolt?
Not sure what you mean about the rear brake line.
LG

Front hubs on the WT should be 5 bolt. Sounds like he wants to swap is 6 bolts over to the WT axle.

OP, interested to hear what you find. I've got a set of 6 bolt disc brake hubs and lockouts laying around and some 5 bolt WT CJ friends who wouldn't mind an upgrade if it's as simple as swapping over the hubs and keeping everything else the same.

Also, in case you haven't noticed..the WT fronts use shock mounts on the axle tube, where the NT fronts use a shock mount on the u bolt plate. The WTs also uses a taller shock tower to compensate for the higher mounting point on the axle. You'll need to cut off the shock mount in order to use your current shock & tower setup.

I have found a set of W/T axles for my '80 '7.

I am planning to swap the 6 bolt hubs from my n/t axles to the w/t.

Question 1 - when i swap the hubs, do i need to use the N/T calipers or do i use the w/t calipers?

are there any differences in the Rotors between w/t and n/t axles?
Everything is interchangeable. I would use the HD big brakes of the 77/78. The 79/up had smaller calipers and discs (7/8”).

Front hubs on the WT should be 5 bolt. Sounds like he wants to swap is 6 bolts over to the WT axle.

OP, interested to hear what you find. I've got a set of 6 bolt disc brake hubs and lockouts laying around and some 5 bolt WT CJ friends who wouldn't mind an upgrade if it's as simple as swapping over the hubs and keeping everything else the same.

Also, in case you haven't noticed..the WT fronts use shock mounts on the axle tube, where the NT fronts use a shock mount on the u bolt plate. The WTs also uses a taller shock tower to compensate for the higher mounting point on the axle. You'll need to cut off the shock mount in order to use your current shock & tower setup.

yes, i am planning to cut the shock mount off the axle tube and continue using the mount on the u-bolt plate.

Everything is interchangeable. I would use the HD big brakes of the 77/78. The 79/up had smaller calipers and discs (7/8”).

Sorry to hijack for a second.... Posi, if I wanted to put on the bigger brakes from a 77/78 onto my 79 would I just get the caliper bracket (because it positions the caliper), caliper and rotor - those three parts would just swap right over to my 79?

Chris, the 77/78 rotor and caliper are different. The rotor I believe is 1 1/8" compared to the later 7/8" and the 77/78 caliper has a single 3.1" large piston compared to the later piston at 2.596". So both the disc and caliper need to match.
The bracket could possibly be used for both brake calipers and disc been awhile since I had a newer CJ (80 and up) to compare.
To answer your question, yes.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks, Posi, you're Aces!

thanks for the information everyone. i will be getting the axles in april and cleaning them up before install. will continue posting in this thread what i see.

thanks again

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks