Build Thread My CJ-5 Build

Build Thread My CJ-5 Build

IG109

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
07 Sierra, 86 El Camino, 79 Trans Am, 74 Jeep
So a guy i work with gave me a Jeep, he claimed that it should run, did when he parked it, body is rough, and rear of frame is a little rusty.. Thats what he said, i drove to his moms house (shoulda been a clue right there) and picked it up. Broke the rear frame section/crossmember/bumper off of the driver side with the trailers winch.. but i got it up on there.. As i drove down the interstate the rear body section left the frame, and was merely held on by the bungee straps and tarp i had over it.. This is what was left when i got it home..

When i got this jeep i was renting a house in town, and working so many hours i couldnt move when i got home.. Months passed, i bought my own house, and moved the jeep to its new home.. I started sorting the parts i recieved. Seats good, new body lift.. not goingto use.., new plastic gas tank, new sending unit. spare transfer case (in pieces and rusty) Body GONE and frame ok.. I bought a YJ tub from a local guy.. Iknow it wont fit, im going to extend the wheelbase on the frame.. worked on project heep the other day, heres what i got done..

PLAN:
Completely disassemble the Jeep, sandblast frame, repair, extend and clean it up..
I have a good friend who builds LOW RIDERS.. I know,, just dont say it.. He is going to help me fab up a four link for the rear and a sort of TJ long arm suspension for the front.. HE has joints and such and alot of talent..

I have a set of Dana 44 axles from a scout we are going to use.. both locked already.. and with gears.. oh and disk brakes..

The engine that was supposed to run, had 6 gallons of water,mud and oil in the pan and wouldnt even turn over, Driveline is getting replaced with a 4.3 v-6 from an old S-10 i had, an SM465/NP205 from my old chevy truck.

Everything will get mocked, tested, then blown back apart this winter and painted..

Planning to run 36x14.5 on here.. Using a set of what i think are 6 inch lift springs from a wrecked TJ..

Going home to work some more tonight, by the way, aside from the engine the driveline is for sale.. trans, xcase, and axles.. Its a 74 CJ5, rear is a Dana 44 and front is a Dana 30 i think..

Thanks for looking, leave a reply and tell me if im crazy or if im going about this right..

FIRST JEEP AND HAVING FUN

Looks like you are on your way... I started out the same way... CJ5, picked it up, tore it down, in a 1 car garage in a condo, so I had to obey the noise laws... later on I moved to a bigger place, got more room, more money, did more Jeeps... it all takes time... be patient, good things come to those who wait.

By that logic, I should have won the lottery by now with all the patience I have been putting forth!

cb

So last night as im told it always is with owning a house (younger kid/first house) things didnt go as planned. Didnt get anything done with the Jeep.
did manage to take the old KC highlighters off the front bumper.. I listed the stock axles and the trans and case on Ebay yesterday.. Everyone take a look..

Hello IG109 and welcome to the site! :chug:

I have a 72 and I'm impressed you took on such a great project... :) Keep us posted!

Worked in the garage all night last night.. Got alot of cleaning done.. removed everything that was still salvageable fromt the old tub (or whats left of it) and stashed it all in the YJ tub i picked up cheap. Took a look at the tub i got, not so good, probably going to have to get another.. that one had alot of hidden rust that showed up after being beat on with a persuasion stick.. I was going to use the stock CJ dash in the jeep, but i am now thinking that i will just buy a set of hotrod guages off ebay and run them.. keep an eye on all my vitals.. I guess i have a CJ dash for sale if anyone is interested.. Not in the best of shape but.. its there..
PICS to come
:D

Worked outside for just a few hours the other night.. got alot done though, engine is out, or off as it sits without a body, the old tub, or firewall, is stripped of all of its usefull parts, all parts are sitting in the newer body, waiting to be installed, the frame is stripped and ready to be sandblasted, repaired, and then start welding on the new body mounts and new spring mounts.. Getting the scout for parts next weekend, then just have to save for a set of XJ rear springs.. Anyway here are a few pics of the progress, or reversion..

So call me a thief if you wish but heres the story.. My buddy back at home has two 1979 international Scouts, both with dana 44s, i wanted a set so i asked him for a set.. 100 bucks and their urs.. Ok i said, he then says that i have to take the whole scout.. I said that i didnt want it, he said that i have no choice.. Took it home, picked up with tractor and cut the axles out.. dropped back on the trailer and strapped down.. I listed the scout on Craigslist sans the axles for 500 bucks.. kid comes buy, plops down the cash and i take it to his house (granted it was a 100 mile haul)..
I then got on the way home, with axles in tow, got home, and the guy was there waiting on Sunday to buy the stock jeep axles.. While he was there i sold him the axles, engine/trans/transfer case, and the springs and shackles.. So for the weekend i got the axles and made 600 bucks.. For once in my life a project might get financially backed and get finished correctly.. Kinda feel like i robbed those guys though..

RIP SCOUT..

That's a good haul. I don't think you ripped them off, you just made some sound business decisions. :D

Yeah, wasnt going to turn down an offer thats for sure.. and that money will definately help with the project.. Now i just need a stick of 2x3 tubing and two sets of XJ rear Leaf Springs.. 4.5 inch lift springs to be exact.. If anyone knows where i could get some let me know..

Yeah, thats where i was planning.. Plan has changed slightly with the Jeep, i plan on using a 4BT Cummins engine in the rig, so i was wondering if i should use some different springs on the front to support the weight, i know there is at least one rig running xj rears on the front, and it has a 304 amc or a 401 in it, not sure if he added a leaf or anything though.. Just pokin for answers and opinions, I know the jeep i mentioned above has awesome articulation, and that is what im going for, just dont want to have to fab up a fancy four link.. Plus the springs push the axles fore and aft creating a longer wheelbase, and less driveline problems..

I don't think it would be a real big problem, I would just keep an eye on the oil pan/axle clearance.

Good luck with the diesel swap. Take lots of pics.

It has been a long time since i was on here.. I know that you all thought i had quit working on the jeep and you are partially right.. I have shifted gears once again and am going to end up using a 427 big block out of a school bus for my powerplant.. Got it for free and it is a fresh build, no miles.. Still using the sm465 and np205, got the axles cleaned up a little.. In the process of making a holding fixture for my OVERSIZED engine stand i built so that i can easily tear down the axles for rebuilding.. As it says in the title it is truely a 74 CJ5 with the open c channel frame.. however even that didnt save it from rot.. The rear section past the axle is pretty well gone.. Thinking that i may just buy a few sticks of 2x4 tubing and make a new one.. What i really want is the jeep that this guy started with... My little project
except with the addition of a few inches of wheel base to the back and a little bit of a bob...

What i am reviving this thread for is to ask the question as to if anyone has ever modified a YJ tub to fit a CJ5.. I am thinking that since i am going to stretch the wheelbase i may just bob the back and enlarge the opening and leave the full size door.. Im not sure what to do though.. I am Limited on funds and already have the tub.. Just asking the questions..

Pics would be great..

It has been a long time since i was on here.. I know that you all thought i had quit working on the jeep and you are partially right.. I have shifted gears once again and am going to end up using a 427 big block out of a school bus for my powerplant.. Got it for free and it is a fresh build, no miles.. Still using the sm465 and np205, got the axles cleaned up a little.. In the process of making a holding fixture for my OVERSIZED engine stand i built so that i can easily tear down the axles for rebuilding.. As it says in the title it is truely a 74 CJ5 with the open c channel frame.. however even that didnt save it from rot.. The rear section past the axle is pretty well gone.. Thinking that i may just buy a few sticks of 2x4 tubing and make a new one.. What i really want is the jeep that this guy started with... My little project
except with the addition of a few inches of wheel base to the back and a little bit of a bob...

What i am reviving this thread for is to ask the question as to if anyone has ever modified a YJ tub to fit a CJ5.. I am thinking that since i am going to stretch the wheelbase i may just bob the back and enlarge the opening and leave the full size door.. Im not sure what to do though.. I am Limited on funds and already have the tub.. Just asking the questions..

Pics would be great..

Probably a good idea to beef up your frame anyway. The factory "C"channel frames had cracking problems with the stock 304 V8's. :eek:
That's why the factory started making fully boxed frames to start with.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks