MSD 6AL-2 Install

MSD 6AL-2 Install

trudz516

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5, 3.8L, T18, D20, D44
I'm about to install an MSD 6AL-2 Electronic Ignition Control and Blaster 2 coil on my 1976 3.8L I6. Has anyone already done this? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Just follow the instructions. Mount the box where there's plenty of airflow.
LG

Pretty straight forward installation

Thanks. I completed the install last night but can't get a spark. I have power to the EIC and to the coil but no spark from spark plug wire. Reconnected the original EIC and truck fired right up. Not sure where I went wrong.

Thanks. I completed the install last night but can't get a spark. I have power to the EIC and to the coil but no spark from spark plug wire. Reconnected the original EIC and truck fired right up. Not sure where I went wrong.

Did you run the power supply leads directly to the battery?
LG

I ran them to the starter solenoid. I've installed a 200 amp breaker from the battery and wanted to be downstream from that. I've checked for constant power with bolt meter and pull a solid 12 volts. My ground is also at the negative side of starter. Maybe I should move that ground? I checked that with volt meter and get a reading from batt neg

I had one many years ago, check the pigtail inside the box to insure it is wired for the 6cly not 8cyl, do you have 12v when you are in the start position? I remember mine having a problem not turning off when I hooked a MSD to it and I had to add a resister in line with the brown wire on the alternator. Once its working its an awesome setup, my 6cyl was so tired it would die in between shifts until I put the MSD on it

6AL-2 has new switch for engine cyl selection. I'll double check that it's in 6cyl. Yes, I run a 6AL on my sbl chevy and it's a beast! Never before had a problem installing. 12 volts read all through hot leads and Pos coil. MSD Status light also blinks when turning on so I know there's power in unit.

There's only one wire out of distributor so I connected to it the white pickup lead.

Checked that small red lead is to ignition wire 12v on run position. Still no spark. Power to box, white pickup and sm red lead but not to orange positive coil? Frustrated...
97a50af2778aba687a4d54d24483f1d3.jpg
bbf2dd6b514b57c9cbdb4ceb57dd6cd0.jpg

Unless, the install instructions have changed of late. MSD sayz to attach the power supply leads directly to the battery terminals.:dunno:
Have you talked to anydangbody at MSD? :confused:
LG

Thanks Lumpy. No, instructions still say attach directly to the battery. I'll try switching but I know I have 12 v power to unit so ground and power are solid.

I've sent an email to them explaining my problem.

This is the third unit I've installed on different vehicles and never had an issue before.

Screw Email-Call'em!
When all else fails-Follow instructions.......LOL
LG

Just spoke to a tech. He said that original electronic ignition control Module should stay installed. Msd White pickup wire should go to originals negative wire from coil and red wire from switch. Just tried and I think I fried something. A small puff of smoke came out as I turned the key to start.

From where did this smoke appear?
LG

Not sure. I was in the vehicle while cranking. Smoke appeared above valve cover. Could be from distributor side or near coil. I got frustrated and closed the garage for the evening

I'm looking for a schematic diagram so that I can retrace the original design. Only then can I decipher what needs to be connected.

Got her running late last night. MSD tech support helped figure out the wiring. Still running very rough and difficult to start plus has run-on but all adjustable issues.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks