Moab 2019 Trail Report

I was thinking the same !

I talked to coldair a bit yesterday and he is running the thicker oil because it is available local with zinc in it. That got me to thinking about my engine and the lack of zinc in my oil. I did some searching and found that Lucas makes oil with high levels of zinc in it already, I am going to switch to their oil on my next oil change

https://www.amazon.com/high-zinc-motor-oil/s?k=high+zinc+motor+oil&rh=p_89:Lucas+Oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to coldair a bit yesterday and he is running the thicker oil because it is available local with zinc in it. That got me to thinking about my engine and the lack of zinc in my oil. I did some searching and found that Lucas makes oil with high levels of zinc in it already, I am going to switch to their oil on my next oil change

https://www.amazon.com/high-zinc-motor-oil/s?k=high+zinc+motor+oil&rh=p_89:Lucas+Oil

Yea already got the word on that. Shop / guy that did my machine work on my new engine told me to switch over when I do my first start up and for future lifetime running of it. He recommended Joe Gibbs oil. Kind of want to do an autopsy on my current engine with 238 K miles to see how it did with Castrol oil its whole life and still running like a champ.

You could run rotella 15w40 if you worry about the 20w50 oil

What's interesting is the new cars are moving to 0-16W Already have 2 cars in the family with 0-20W. It is getting harder to even see the oil on the dip stick now.

I have run Castrol 20W-50 since my jeeps first oil change in '85.
I also add a blue bottle of STP.
I also use a WIX oil filter.
Never been 'inside' the engine in 34+ yrs of ownership.
Still pass CA, SMOG.
We see 'teens' in the winter, and up to 112* in the summer here in the western Mojave.
Be cautious about going to high zinc oil-It can mess up your O2 sensor and the 'cat'.
LG

I have run Castrol 20W-50 since my jeeps first oil change in '85.

Never been 'inside' the engine in 34+ yrs of ownership
LG

Gotcha whooped on that Castrol thing with over 35 years and 10-30W LG. You might catch me someday ! :)

Gotcha whooped on that Castrol thing with over 35 years and 10-30W LG. You might catch me someday ! :)

Man that’s a long time for both of you congratulations

With your 4-popper. I'll give ya a push. :laugh::poke:
How many miles on yours?
Have 121,525 miles on mine.
LG

With your 4-popper. I'll give ya a push. :laugh::poke:
How many miles on yours?
Have 121,525 miles on mine.
LG

You ever get that thing outta da garage besides an afternoon drive to the bingo parlor ? Oh I forgot you drag it around behind the motor home. Maybe you should trade it in for a golf cart to ride around the camp ground. :) Mine is at just under 238,000 miles

You ever get that thing outta da garage besides an afternoon drive to the bingo parlor ? Oh I forgot you drag it around behind the motor home. Maybe you should trade it in for a golf cart to ride around the camp ground. :) Mine is at just under 238,000 miles

:laugh:

At least mine will get up to the speed limit...........:poke:

238K is impressive for sure. :notworthy:
Mine might be close to that with all the miles I've towed it.:D
Ever have to get inside the engine? I've had to reseal the valve cover a couple of times is all.
What kind of oil pressure are you see'n with that many miles?
LG

:laugh:

At least mine will get up to the speed limit...........:poke:

238K is impressive for sure. :notworthy:
Mine might be close to that with all the miles I've towed it.:D
Ever have to get inside the engine? I've had to reseal the valve cover a couple of times is all.
What kind of oil pressure are you see'n with that many miles?
LG

I have broken the speed limit a couple few times, but that is not where the fun is for me.....valve cover was off once about 125,000 miles ago and replaced the timing chain 98,000 ago. That is it !!!! Still using original clutch. My jeep was built on a Wednesday

Maybe you should trade it in for a golf cart to ride around the camp ground. :) Mine is at just under 238,000 miles

You have 238,000 miles on your golf cart? :p

I run 20w50 in my flat tappet engines all year round. You will be good Dave.

I'll be running 20w50 or 15w40. I'm sure I'll be fine.

I only use my jeep for the trails in the summer. I dream of a winter that no one can drive unless they have 36 inch mudders and lockers but I haven't seen a winter like that since I left Minnesota.

Sometimes in the winter I use my jeep to winch someone out of the ditch near my home. :D

A few more pictures. Wishing I was down wheeling now.

Attachments

• 7CD8B173-9052-4DE9-92DF-04B3F8637A55.jpg
    7CD8B173-9052-4DE9-92DF-04B3F8637A55.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 9223D889-BBCD-4BDB-8914-CCA7984D1CA7.jpg
    9223D889-BBCD-4BDB-8914-CCA7984D1CA7.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 33
  • C8DA0915-2AF2-42A5-B78E-B737C7296A3F.jpg
    C8DA0915-2AF2-42A5-B78E-B737C7296A3F.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 44
Maybe a weekend in Oct :)

Ive thought about that October or even November.

We're thinking of spending a half day there on way back rom Colorado this year. Depending on how it's all going. Planning to ask you two in Colorado for some recommendations for a short 6 hour good ride through there. We've never been there yet. Might try to swing the Moab trail ride in the next few years too.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks