MC2100 in high altitude

MC2100 in high altitude

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
#1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304, TH400, BW1339 (MM), D30/Auburn Max, AMC20/Trac-Lok/G2's, 4.88's, 33" BFG MT KM2's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper 4bbl EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, 4" ProComp lift.

#2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project - Incomplete/Undecided)
What can I do to my MC2100 carb to make it work in 11,000'-12,000' elevations? Don't care about mileage. I live at around 1,000' but plan on running it in Colorado this summer and don't want issues.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What can I do to my MC2100 carb to make it work in 11,000'-12,000' elevations? Don't care about mileage. I live at around 1,000' but plan on running it in Colorado this summer and don't want issues.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Jeep sounds pretty cool...factory air! Anyway, you will definitely want to decrease the size of your main jets, however, I can't tell you how many sizes you will need to reduce. Someone one here may have a chart that can get you in the ballpark if you know which mains are currently installed. Are you going to trailer it to Col? I ask this because if you jet it to 11,000 feet.....while your still at 1,000 feet, and try to drive it there....would more than likely be extremely lean and could cause engine damage. There is a member on here that specializes in the 2100/2150 Motorcraft carbs. I cant remember his name and not really sure how to tell you to search but you might try "Motorcraft". Good luck and let us know what you find out. :chug: Rick

Don't worry about it just get right for home. The worse thing that can happen is you smell fuel a bit. You can do a lot more damage running lean than rich. If I was going to be at 12,000 feet on a regular basis I would re jet, but for the time I spend that high it isn't worth the trouble. If you do have problems at altitude I would say you were too rich before you left home. Any lack of power will not be that noticeable, to my experience. :D

Home for me is about 500 ' and it has yet to be a problem when I spent time that high. I have a lot more problem finding enough air than the Jeep does.:eek:

I agree with Larry. Your jeep will run fine.
When I bought my CJ5 it was jetted for sea level but it ran just fine over these mountain passes.
Make sure everything else is mechanically sound. Check U-joints, tie rod ends, battery and all the other regular maintenance things. If it runs good at home you will do fine on the trails.

Thank you to all of you :notworthy: that makes perfect sense. I'm a little rich now so I will get that squared away and make it right. I'm going to go HEI or Team Rush before then too so I'll make sure it's all squared away.

I'm doing a 1" shackle lift, new tires, brakes, have a new master cylinder and new booster and a vacuum can, rear u's are new, fronts checked out good, also doing a shift kit that allows full shifting in the TH400. Also going to do the headlight wiring upgrade that's on sale here.

I need to re-wrap my brain around the HEI conversion as I'm scared to death of the cam gear issue. I think the last thing I read was to put my existing gear on the distributor I get...but that's some more research or a different thread OR a Team Rush and a helper knows more about electronics than I do. :D

I need to re-wrap my brain around the HEI conversion as I'm scared to death of the cam gear issue. I think the last thing I read was to put my existing gear on the distributor I get...but that's some more research or a different thread OR a Team Rush and a helper knows more about electronics than I do. :D

I did the chinese HEI before I found out about the cam gear problems, my advice by the HEI you want extend your 12v power wire to the distributor buy the HEI wire plug from parts store take your old gear off the old dizzy(knock roll pin out) install on the new one and enjoy :chug: also if you have the factory tach you will have to extend it to reach the dizzy easy as pie:chug:

I did the chinese HEI before I found out about the cam gear problems, my advice by the HEI you want extend your 12v power wire to the distributor buy the HEI wire plug from parts store take your old gear off the old dizzy(knock roll pin out) install on the new one and enjoy :chug: also if you have the factory tach you will have to extend it to reach the dizzy easy as pie:chug:

Does anyone have a decent diagram to go from a Prestolite to an HEI setup and which HEI should I buy to use my gear? Or am I time (but not money) ahead to Team Rush it?

what ever you do you have to swap the distributer to get rid of the Prestolite. I will not get into the choice of HEI over stock emc or in my case MSD6.Any way you go the improvement over the prestolite significant.:D

Does anyone have a decent diagram to go from a Prestolite to an HEI setup and which HEI should I buy to use my gear? Or am I time (but not money) ahead to Team Rush it?

what ever you do you have to swap the distributer to get rid of the Prestolite. I will not get into the choice of HEI over stock emc or in my case MSD6.Any way you go the improvement over the prestolite significant.:D

I guess my question is, for a quick and cost-effective improvement, is a simple HEI the way to go? And if so, who has a diagram to wire it?

If you buy a D.U.I. HEI they will have a wiring diagram in the box with the Dist. This isn't a difficult swap, I've never fooled much with a disrtibutor and had no trouble getting the job done ....... except you might have clearance issues with your power steering pump bumping into your vacuum advance. I jumped the dist. over one cog and ended up with the vacuum advance resting on the small pipe coming out of the water pump. It was simple to make a hook attached to my AC pump to gently hold the pipe to the left. D.U.I. is said to have a distributor gear that meshes perfectly with the stock gear on your 304, but D.U.I. doesn't say that. They recommend getting one of their cam gears or using the stock gear on your dist. The stock gear is easy to remove. Just tap out the roll pin with an appropriate pin bunch on each dist. pull the gear off, use the thin washer that comes stock on the D.U.I. dist. shaft, align the holes and drift the roll pin back in. Coat the gear with one of several products like vasoline, cam break in grease or other grease type products, but evidently not real grease. The other products melt and mix harmlessly with your motor oil. You will need a set of HEI wires too. I went with MSD wires that you cut for your application. There are several others, but the MSD wires come with a neat little wire crimp tool that is simple and works great for a professional looking finished product.

Cheap ..... No ....... worth it ....YES.

Last edited:
Well that what I'm going to do after much thought and research. There's a lot of great options out there, but I'm going to get a D.U.I. unit and their Laser wires, drop the $400 and be done. I figure it's the same as doing a $200 setup and paying some guy $200 to fix the mess I would have made.:D

Thanks to all...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks