Steering Manual to power steering?

Steering Manual to power steering?

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
So I just picked up an 84 CJ. No power steering. It’s a nightmare to steer. It has the four banger in it. I was wondering if I could take the power steering outta my 85 with the 258 and put it in the 84?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch, that is a difficult change. As far as I know nothing interchanges (brackets, pulleys, and belts.)

You may beadle to use the pump you will need to fab or adopt a bractet.

Ouch, that is a difficult change. As far as I know nothing interchanges (brackets, pulleys, and belts.)

You may beadle to use the pump you will need to fab or adopt a bractet.

Funny thing is. The four cylinder has all the same mounting holes for the brackets. Even has a bracket on there. Also the pulleys on it have two valleys. One for the alternator belt and the other is where a belt for power steering goes. 8bb6f2d53509225ca5a46bbaceb0448d.jpg

Funny thing is. The four cylinder has all the same mounting holes for the brackets. Even has a bracket on there. Also the pulleys on it have two valleys. One for the alternator belt and the other is where a belt for power steering goes. 8bb6f2d53509225ca5a46bbaceb0448d.jpg

Hmm, let me research more.

I did some research today and all the part numbers are the same. For everything but the high pressure hose.

Man I just finished this same deal its a no big deal. the pump and brackets are the same 4 or 6 cyl. I got a gear box off a 86 or 7 Cherokee or wagon bolted right up and went to auto zone and ordered 2 lines for a 85 CJ7 and in 2 hrs up and done. box at wrecking yard was 75.00 and pump and brackets 65.00 lines were 45.00 brand new! I did this just 2 days ago. even the Cherokee pitman arm worked and also mine is a 85 with a 4 banger too! when I pulled the box I got the steering shaft with it I cut it to length and used a piece of snug pipe to join the two pieces and welded to length! Ive done the shaft deal many times in past on old chevy trucks

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom