Steering Manual to power steering?

Steering Manual to power steering?

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
So I just picked up an 84 CJ. No power steering. It’s a nightmare to steer. It has the four banger in it. I was wondering if I could take the power steering outta my 85 with the 258 and put it in the 84?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch, that is a difficult change. As far as I know nothing interchanges (brackets, pulleys, and belts.)

You may beadle to use the pump you will need to fab or adopt a bractet.

Ouch, that is a difficult change. As far as I know nothing interchanges (brackets, pulleys, and belts.)

You may beadle to use the pump you will need to fab or adopt a bractet.

Funny thing is. The four cylinder has all the same mounting holes for the brackets. Even has a bracket on there. Also the pulleys on it have two valleys. One for the alternator belt and the other is where a belt for power steering goes. 8bb6f2d53509225ca5a46bbaceb0448d.jpg

Funny thing is. The four cylinder has all the same mounting holes for the brackets. Even has a bracket on there. Also the pulleys on it have two valleys. One for the alternator belt and the other is where a belt for power steering goes. 8bb6f2d53509225ca5a46bbaceb0448d.jpg

Hmm, let me research more.

I did some research today and all the part numbers are the same. For everything but the high pressure hose.

Man I just finished this same deal its a no big deal. the pump and brackets are the same 4 or 6 cyl. I got a gear box off a 86 or 7 Cherokee or wagon bolted right up and went to auto zone and ordered 2 lines for a 85 CJ7 and in 2 hrs up and done. box at wrecking yard was 75.00 and pump and brackets 65.00 lines were 45.00 brand new! I did this just 2 days ago. even the Cherokee pitman arm worked and also mine is a 85 with a 4 banger too! when I pulled the box I got the steering shaft with it I cut it to length and used a piece of snug pipe to join the two pieces and welded to length! Ive done the shaft deal many times in past on old chevy trucks

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks