lost spark

lost spark

fulltilt57

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 360, 4 spd,
I have a 1980 CJ7 with a 360 amc and for some reason i have lost spark to the plugs, its not a points style dizzy, has what i belive to be a magnetic style pickup, and wires going to a box on the drivers side wheel well. It was running fine but now its dead as a door nail

Has anyone used one of the new hei units, if so are they like the older gm units only requiring keyed power, if so good.
I have power steering and have heard mention of it beeing a interfearence problem with the hei, but if its the only problem its not a big deal.

My wife will be extreamly happy for any info that can be provided, and so will I as she will kill me if its not fixed lol

Sounds like the Ignition Module went out. That would be the box on the driver wheel well.

The HEI for AMC V8's are made to there is no interference. It's close, but you still have enough adjustment. If you spend less than $150 for a new HEI dizzy, you just lost $150. The Chinese ones are total :dung:. You will also need new wires or new dizzy ends.

Ya i was thinking the same thing with the moduel, but i have power to both sides of the coil?
The wireing under the hood has been messed with including the wires going to the moduel, however it was running fine.
I would like to put hei on it and if i have to spend 300 for a good dizzy so be it,as for wires its not a problem as i have new ones and can switch the ends to hei.
The big thing for me is the one wire hook up like the GM hei
When you speak of interfearence do you mean with the power steering unit?

If you want to upgrade now, that's fine, but if you just want to get your CJ back on the road quick and cheap, you can just get a new ignition module and plug it in. I bought a new one a few weeks ago and it was about $30. And yes, if you are getting power at the coil, and if you unplug the supply side of the module and you are getting voltage there and verify a good ground, then it's the module. They tend to work fine for years and then just fail while the Jeep is sitting. I've never had one fail when the engine was actually running.

Take a hammer or something to whack the module with. NOT too heavy of a blow!! Just give it a "tap" and see if it starts.

That is not a guaranteed test. But if spark returns, then it proves module is bad. Once I drove about 20 miles to get home. Had to whack the module about 6 separate times to get it to restart every time I had to shut it down.

The power steering reservoir is a touch close. But it does work.

I would check why you are not getting spark... Track it down.

Start with what if anything changed...
Then ensure mechanically the Distributor is working (spinning with no jumping) with cap off and turning it over (careful...)
Check all grounds and wire connections, as sometimes these things just break or loosen.
Theres much more to check, you kinda just have to start from where you know it's working... and go from there.

But if you DO go to a new HEI style distributor, make sure you either use your existing distributor gear on the new distributor, or put a new matching set in. (on Cam shaft end under timing cover & bottom of the distributor)

This will save you some head-ache later :cool:

:chug:
~ JR

Well i'm 95% sure i'm going to hei, i'm a gm guy and i know they work well
I have read a few threads where they say an hei will kill the amc motor, but that makes no sence to me unless you have no idea what your doing when it comes to droping in a dizzy, because timing is everything, not just the base timing but the total and when it all comes in.
I have also read a few articals where they do say to keep the old dizzy gear, and thats because they have worn together as a matched set, just like swaping lifters on a used cam shaft, or its like running a roller cam and not switching the dizzy gear.
So i do agree with the cam gear and dizzy gear being a matched set.
However people saying that an hei will kill an amc motor, i think is silly, prove me wrong.
Who in there right mind want to scew around with points these days unless they want a period corect vehicle, further more some electronic box that from what i hear fails when you need it most.

I ran a DUI HEI on my AMC 360 for seven years without any issues.

I run a DUI too. Love it. But did not match my gears when i installed. A year later it finally chewed the cam gear and left me stranded on icehouse rd near the rubicon. (Could have been worse, was in middle of rubicon trail day before;) )

The problem is not always if they are worn together, though that doesnt hurt to be worn together already, but usually the hardened metal vs the softer metal and one chewing the other to pieces...

So, thats all i always recommend knowing is the matched gears. Nothing wrong with running hei on amc otherwise. (That i am aware of) though there are many who recommend upgrading the stock components can be just as good or better.

I like my DUI though. :cool:

:chug:

Jr

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks