Lockright locker make noise going straight

Lockright locker make noise going straight

Jaya

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7 straight six 258
Dear All,

I installed automatic locker in my CJ7 in both front and rear axle and its already for so many years without issue (>17 years or so). I have Detroit EZ locker front and lockright in the back. I am so happy with this setup as it helps a lot when doing off road and requires no maintenance at all .. just oil change will do.

Just recently, the rear locker make noise when driving straight at high speed ... it almost every 50 meters make the noise and I can feel the back of the jeep was moving slightly to the left or right when it happen.

If have measure tire pressure, inspect tire dimension, do physicall check on inside the diff and to the locker, replace lockers spring with its originall from richmond gear .... all of these makes no difference .. still have to issue. No axle bent so far detected ...

Please advise if anybody in this great forum have the same experience before with an automatic lockers ... many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Check your tire psi.
They have to be the same........
When was the last time you checked the diff oil level?
LG

Are you accelerating/ decelerating when the shifting to the left and right happen? Is it making the noise while maintaining speed? Is the rear shifting left or right when the noise happens?

Hi Hole and Lumpy,

When it happens, I was not switching to any gear ... it was at steady speed.

Tire PSI and dimension are equal and oil are brand new ... I have try both SAE 75-90 and the last I just filled in after taking apart the diff and locker was 140.

Thank you.

CK the oil level.
How long has it done this?
When did you last ck TP? You could have picked up a nail etc.
What brand locker is this?
LG

Hi LG,

I am using lockright lunchbox locker. Its been more than 15 years without any issue since I install it, until 3 weeks ago after doing a 1 day trip off road and on the way back home I noticed the locker is banging much more often and its doing it when vehicle is moving straight on steady speed.

I have emailed richmond gear and they telling me to re check the center gap between drivers and driver to shaft .. must be 3 - 4 mm and .2 - .5 mm.

However, I am planning to try to reconnect the front sway bar and test drive it again before do the gap measurement. I don’t know if the sway bar has anything to do with the issue, but no hurt in trying ....

Thanks and regards,

Sway bar has nut'n to do with it...........
Do the gap check-Might be a issue with the springs.
Are you still using the OEM 2-piece axles?
If yes-When was the last time you checked the axle nut torque?
LG

Hi LG,

I am using 1 piece axle ...

Yes, thats true the sway bar has nothing to do ... but I never drive around without it disconnected for so long like now and I feel the jeep is bit difficult to handle ... wont drive exactly straight in highway ... this never happen before.

I will do the measurement but have to pick up the side gear shim first at local shop just precaution if the one inside the diff worn and need to be replace ..

Thanks LG.... appreciate discussion with you very much🙏🙏🙏

Good on the 1-piece axles.
If the Jeep won't track straight-Have the front end alignment ck'd.
I took off my sway bar some 34+ yrs ago, and my jeep is my daily driver.
I also run a DL in the back.
Mine tracks just as straight as can be.........
LG

Hi LG,

Yes, connecting the sway bar only make it better but not solving the noise issue. I am waiting for the service kit from summit before doing the axle/locker measurement.

Thanks for the advise LG.

Regards,

If connecting the sway bar makes it better then I would check the leaf spring and shackle bushings. Make sure they are not squished or pinched and that all the bolts are centered in the holes.

Also make sure the U-bolts holding the axle to the springs are still tight.

Hi LG,

Yes, connecting the sway bar only make it better but not solving the noise issue. I am waiting for the service kit from summit before doing the axle/locker measurement.

Thanks for the advise LG.

Regards,

Then there's something else going on.:confused:
Make sure the axle hasn't shifted on the spring pack from a broken center-bolt.
Have you inspected the slip spline and u-joints for play?
LG

Then there's something else going on.:confused:
Make sure the axle hasn't shifted on the spring pack from a broken center-bolt.
Have you inspected the slip spline and u-joints for play?
LG

I've just received the Lockright service kit from Summit last week and preparing to take the diff out again, I am still having difficulties in finding thrust washer with different sizes for the adjustment purposes if needed. So I just decided to just get a good used AMC20 diff carrier and replace mine and measure everything after that .... driver to driver and driver to the cross shaft.

Will update you again once done.

thanks LG and JeeperChris, really appreciate all the help.

Regards,

Hi All,

Sorry for taking so long on the update .... but I ends up buying a new locker ... an USA Standard Spartan auto locker.

I did follow the measurement guidance from Richmond Gear and purchase a set of service kit ... the result is worse. I think the lock right unit is fail / end of service life.

I decided to give the USA Standard locker a try. It work great so far ... better handling than the lock right when it was new and much more quiter.
Lets just find out how long it will last ... this one is consider a low price ... just USD 258 on ebay. The USA Standard is also not require a thrust washer and therefore simplify the install ... however, the centre gap has to be measure to 3.6 to 4.3 mm when assembly is completed.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks