Misc. Line-X?

Misc. Line-X?

Muddler

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 ‘85
Wondering if it makes any sense to have Line-X sprayed to the underside of the Jeep to prevent rust? Does it protect or does it make any existing rust spread, hidden behind the Line-X. I have a couple of rust spots I plan to sand and prime anyway. Once that is done I may take it to have it Line-xed since overall things look good under there. Just want to make sure I am not creating a problem.

Wondering if it makes any sense to have Line-X sprayed to the underside of the Jeep to prevent rust? Does it protect or does it make any existing rust spread, hidden behind the Line-X. I have a couple of rust spots I plan to sand and prime anyway. Once that is done I may take it to have it Line-xed since overall things look good under there. Just want to make sure I am not creating a problem.
If theres rust present its going to spread under it. Ive seen quite a few examples of that. Most of the Scrambler guys agree that your actually better off with just painting it.

If the tub is totally rust free might be a great idea , wheel wells and places mud hides and road salt, If my tub was new i would, the rest ask to be painted with coal tar epoxy, seen it used to coat the bottoms of water towers. the upside of the jeep probably conventional paint with a eye to insuring no rust. Mine has rust,, dent and aint new so im wire wheel prime and rattle can/brush.:drive:

I would not Linex or Rhino line the underneath. Take some time, clean it all up really good and dry, and use POR15. It is intended to be used over rust etc. Dries rock hard and is very glossy. Pic of mine below. It is a new tub but hope it gives you a general idea. I would also recommend you get a couple cans of Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14 oz Aerosol (12515Z-15275Z) to spray up the channels and spots where you can't get a brush.under tub cropped.jpg

Please post pictures of your full frame off restoration for us to drool…

I would not Linex or Rhino line the underneath. Take some time, clean it all up really good and dry, and use POR15. It is intended to be used over rust etc. Dries rock hard and is very glossy. Pic of mine below. It is a new tub but hope it gives you a general idea. I would also recommend you get a couple cans of Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14 oz Aerosol (12515Z-15275Z) to spray up the channels and spots where you can't get a brush.View attachment 76535
POR15 is great and very durable. I use it even on non rusted metal.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Couple things I have learned using POR 15 a few times is unless you have a large area to cover, buy a very small can because it’s pretty expensive and unless it is sealed correctly it dries out and is useless. The stuff is like glue so the top can’t be removed if it gets on the lid. I have had very good luck using a couple of layers of plastic wrap in between the can top and can. Makes it easy to remove the top again, even after a few uses. :chug:

For those who have done it...how critical is the prep?

Have already done the inside of the frame with Eastwood...was looking to do tub bottom/outside frame with the POR

I've ordered it along with the degreaser and etch...just haven't undertaken it yet

When I used POR15 on mine, I scotch brite the bottom of tub because it was new and support said to scuff it as there was no way I new what type primer was used. Tub turned out great and going on about 14 months now, no peeling etc. On my frame that was a different story, Wire wheeled, needle scaler to get the undercoating completely off and then went over it with scotch brite.

I still had some rust spots on the frame and was not worried about them. I did use cleaner degreaser and the driveway acid wash product available at Lowes, let it completely dry and then went to town with my brush. Use a high quality brush. I bought a gallon of POR15 and after doing entire bottom of tub and all of frame/differentials, I still had 1/2 gallon left.

Luckily my brother in law needed some to finish is frame off resto so none went to waste. And the comment above about getting it in the sealing portion of lid and can follow that because if you bang the lid back on and have POR in there, you will be using a hammer and chisel to open it again.

POR15 doesn't care about there being rust, I just made sure I did not have any loose pieces is why I wirewheeled and needle scaled. PO was in love with undercoating because he owned his own shop. Good luck....

Appreciate the feedback

Wear a mask for that etching solution, I assume it is acid cleaner, and POR15 fumes is extremely bad for your lungs, especially if you use a sprayer instead of brush. And I don't mean a simple Covid type mask, Get a respirator style that is even available at harbor freight.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks