Line Lock Brakes..Anybody???

Line Lock Brakes..Anybody???

Rusty B O B

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 304, Bomb proof mounts, 3speed , Dana 20, Dana 30, 410,ARB, Shackle flip, HD steering mount, Borgson shaft, Amc 20, 410,ARB, BDS 2 1/2",
1946 CJ-2A Stock everything. Rebuilt suspension. Original Snow Plow
I have been away from trail riding for several years. I am now in the middle of a rebuild of an 84 CJ7 and like all of the great information I see on this web site. One thing I don't see mentioned, is anyone using line lock brake kits anymore?

I would think using lockers front and rear has outdated that. As I recall the line lock setup was designed for drag racing.

Back in the day a lot of guys used a device called a " micro-lock" that plumbed in to the brake hydraulic system.Control mounted on dash and was manually operated.They actually work quite well for off-road situations.
Haven't seen one in many moons. Mike

Update. just checked there web site. It's called a MICO Lever lock .

Last edited:
I installed one on the front of my YJ-7 and like it real well. I use it a lot as a short term parking brake.

I installed a Mico Brake on the rear for a park brake. My manual park brake does not hold very well with the disc brake conversion I installed. The Mico Brake works good. In the picture I have it mounted next to the brake booster and my adjustable proportioning valve. I have a switch mounted on the dash to engage it.

HTML:

Several Jeepers around here still use them.
Most are custom, manual levers mounted on the dash.
Used to hold the Jeep on a hill or a difficult spot.

I have been away from trail riding for several years. I am now in the middle of a rebuild of an 84 CJ7 and like all of the great information I see on this web site. One thing I don't see mentioned, is anyone using line lock brake kits anymore?

:)The Line Lock as you refer to is more of a short term brake application method that uses 12 volts. In Drag racing they are used to stage the race car by applying pressure to the front brakes only prior to launch and released via a micro switch.

The MICO system is a manual application system whereby a lever with an offset cam is used which I like in most applications since you do not need 12 volts to hold it. Purple77 has what sounds like a MICO 12 volt powered system......I was unaware that was available.......in either case it is for temporary locking of the brakes either front or rear or both. Although the manual system on level ground could be left applied without the worry of killing your battery.

:D:D:D:D

The line lock in four wheeling that me and my friends have used is plumbed into the rear brakes only. A push button switch is used on the side of a "T" type shifter knob, the same as used in drag racing. Hurst still sells them. When your climbing up a steep hill and need to re-group to grab another gear or restart a stalled engine simply hit the breaks and hold the button in on the "T" shifter. This alows you to let go of the brakes with your foot and slowly let the clutch out until you can load the suspension up again. Once the suspension is loaded release the button. This eliminates a ruff start out and hopping. The hopping is when we usually break things. Truly does work very well.

I installed a Mico Brake on the rear for a park brake. My manual park brake does not hold very well with the disc brake conversion I installed. The Mico Brake works good.

Does it work well on steep grades? I've been thinking of doing this because like you my parking brake sucks.

Does it work well on steep grades? I've been thinking of doing this because like you my parking brake sucks.

Yes Old Dog it does work on steep grades as long as your tires have traction. I installed so I could lock it when on a steep grade and your trying to run the clutch, brake and throttle all at the same time. Now I can lock it and run the clutch and throttle and get ready to go and release it. I used to have to shut off the engine when on grade to get out and open gates, because the manual park brake would not hold. It nice , set it and jump out open the gate jump back in. Like terry 99 said it is just for short term braking.

Yes I was thinking short term trail use. Thanks

Yes it does work better than parking brakes. If you use a button switch on the shifter handle and hit the brakes then hold the switch it can be a life saver. I use a five point seat belt harness on schetchy hills. With the 5 point belts on you usually can't reach the parking brake or anything else on the dash. While holding the button with your thumb you can work the clutch and gas with no problems.
Summit racing/Hurst #s 1530010 is the t handle with switch. 1630050 is a ball knob with the switch on top. 1630070 is a ball knob with the switch on the side. 1745000 is the roll control kit with the valve and a switch in the kit. The switch can be mounted on your factory shift lever. I like the t handle, easier to hang on to.

Electric Activated Lock | MICO, Inc.

This is the one I used. The only thing, it is expensive but pretty easy to install.

:)Thanks Purple..........been away from this stuff too long. Used the Manual Mico valves before but never knew they had an energized version.

Folks should also understand if they use any system for say parking after the drums are HOT you could break or crack a drum as the system cools down. Apply only a Limited amount of foot pressure to the system in that case.

I added a 3000 psi Parker ball valve for a rear brake lock. Their well make and won't leak down like some of the cheaper line locks they have on the market. I'll recall I paid around $35 for it.

DSCN3723_zpsc43d7f8e.png

Ok guys I'm thinking parking brake, on a steep hill here. Maybe for half hour or whatever while helping someone else winch or something like that.
The Hurst (and a few others Summit had) that Rusty posted are priced right but say they should not be activated for more than 60 seconds, so no go there.
The Mico that Purple posted is made to be a parking brake so that's good, but the price is more than I really want to spend.

Posi, can you tell me more about the Parker ball that you have.

Or does anyone else have any ideas for what I'm wanting?

:)Thanks Purple..........been away from this stuff too long. Used the Manual Mico valves before but never knew they had an energized version.

Folks should also understand if they use any system for say parking after the drums are HOT you could break or crack a drum as the system cools down. Apply only a Limited amount of foot pressure to the system in that case.

that is a interesting concept.have you experienced that problem before ? We used the micco brake extensively on step van delivery trucks with zero problems.I guess anything can happen once. As noted the device is for short term parking. mike

that is a interesting concept.have you experienced that problem before ? We used the micco brake extensively on step van delivery trucks with zero problems.I guess anything can happen once. As noted the device is for short term parking. mike

:)

Mike, Yes obviously depends on how the system is plumbed.....but as most I have seen are plumbed to the rear brakes........and average person with manual brakes can apply 700-800 PSI and with power 1200-1300 PSI on the system. Hot drums already expanded then apply parking brakes and allow to cool......I'm sure you get the picture............Yes I have seen that happen. Not a problem as long as you don't stand on the pedal when you apply.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom