Vehicle(s)
80 cj5, 305.
Hey everyone,

Can I get away with a 2.5” lift and 33s or do I need the 4” on a 1980 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

Can I get away with a 2.5” lift and 33s or do I need the 4” on a 1980 CJ5

I have a 4" lift on my 80 CJ7 and 33's, wish I was taller on the lift. 2.5 might be ok if you don't go off road :)

Anybody else thoughts. I like 4” a little more visually but feel for cruising back roads and beach 2.5 might be a tad safer. As long as my wheels and tires fit I am good with either

A 2.5" with 1" body pucks might be the ticket for your purposes

You can run 31's and possible 32's on OEM suspension. Bear in mind that all tires don't actually measure out to their size.

As long as you aren't articulating the suspension fully (stuffing tires), you can probably get by with a good 2.5" lift to run 33's. My 76 CJ5 has a 2.5" BDS lift and 3/4" (3/8" lift) shackles. I have no problems with 32" TSL/SX tires, and could probably stuff a set of 33's under it, with Limited problems. Until I start stuffing the tires and hitting the sheet metal.

Also: You will need to adjust the steering stops when running larger tires, or you will hit the leaf springs on a narrow track CJ.

That all being said, I'm not a fan of 4" or more lift on a CJ5 that will see street driving. Lots of reasons, but I won't elaborate right now.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks