Lift Kits Lift Kit Identification

Lift Kits Lift Kit Identification

407-loco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7
After pressure washing under my 78 CJ7 I noticed it may have a sky jacker lift under it. How would I identify how much of a lift it has or doesn't have. Measure between the frame and top of axle?

Do you have a spring lift, shackle lift, body lift, some combination of these? Stock shackles on a CJ are 3" center to center on the bolt holes. I wouldn't go much more than an extra inch due to potential steering issues you may introduce. Because shackles are only on one end of the spring, the lift they give you is half of the extra length beyond the 3" stock. i,e. a 4" shackle will give you 1/2" of lift, a 5" shackle will give you 1" of lift.

Stock CJ height from ground to rocker panel is 18". Stock tire size was 29". If running larger tires than stock, measure from ground to rocker and subtract that 18" amount plus half the difference your tire size is over stock. i.e. running 33" tires means you are 4" over the stock 29" size. So measure the distance from the ground to the rocker, subtract the initial 18" and then subtract 2" more for the oversize tires. The remainder is the overall combined lift from suspension, shackles, body (or whatever combination you have).

I am running a 4" suspension lift with 35" tires. I'm sitting at 25" total distance from the ground to the bottom of the rockers. So the math is 25" total height, minus the 18 stock height it started at, minus 3" for tires (my tires are 6" over stock height), leaving 4" of lift. Since I know I have no body lift and stock length shackles, I know I have 4" lifted springs. Of course these springs also required the drop pitman arm, longer shocks, longer sway bar connects, and TC drop spacers. Some other tell-tale signs as well.

Ain't Jeep math fun?

With 32" tires, just measure the height from ground to bottom of rocker panels. Subtract 18" (original stock height) and then subtract 1.5" (half the 3" amount your tires are over the original 29" stock height). The remaining number is your spring lift since you have no body or shackle lift to factor in.

I'll do that when I get home today and see. Hopefully I won't need to put anymore lift on it. Was wanting to put 33s on it but wasn't want to mess with a lift right now.

For once don't want pretty or high performance. Been there done that. There in the garage. Going for reliable and functional.

So by my round about adding its about 4inch lift.
Tires are 32 but Measure with a tape measure to be 30 in (all most bald) and it around 24 in to rock each side is different and get different read in different places on the rocker about 24 is a rough idea.

So would 33x15.5r15 fit 🤞 with the right off set rims or is the 15.5 wide tires asking to much.

33's on a 4" lifted CJ should fit just fine in terms of clearance height. My 35's required some minor fender trimming, but 33's should not. Now in terms of rubbing due to width, 12.5 width on a 15x10 rim with no more than 3.75 backspacing would be fine and probably about the max size to prevent the front wheels rubbing during tight turns. I believe 15.5 width will require backspacing of 3" or less, or wheel spacers to prevent rubbing in turns. Depending on local laws in your area, wider flares may be needed to cover the tires sticking out further.

Thanks for the info 15.5 wide be asking for too much seen them on website got me thinking. Probably go with 12.5 or 13.5 wide. Get too wide might float.😆

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom