LED resistor and wiring question

LED resistor and wiring question

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
May I hear from our veteran LED installers?

I have never seen, nor heard of the following way that the lynnwood shop, malloy installed the LED resistor, and diode in my vehicle.

First they connected one side of the resistor directly to the (integrated) turn and running wire power side THEN connected the other side of the resistor directly (and only to) the fender/ground.

I've included photos.

I would like to hear from LED installers. Please let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• CAM09995.jpg
    CAM09995.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CAM10022.jpg
    CAM10022.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 67
  • CAM10004.jpg
    CAM10004.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 66
  • CAM09996.jpg
    CAM09996.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 50
  • CAM09994.jpg
    CAM09994.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 107
As I recall, led lights use less voltage to operate and require a resistor to run properly. Here is a video that I found related to wiring up led turn signals. You might be able to use this one or its related videos to get you going. When I did some led wiring once and got the info from the counter guy at an electronics parts house and it did require using Ohm's law to calculate for the correct resistor. Then, I got by using 1/2 watt resistors, I now see resistors have changed for led use. Good Luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvzwq___P4

As I recall, led lights use less voltage to operate and require a resistor to run properly. Here is a video that I found related to wiring up led turn signals. You might be able to use this one or its related videos to get you going. When I did some led wiring once and got the info from the counter guy at an electronics parts house and it did require using Ohm's law to calculate for the correct resistor. Then, I got by using 1/2 watt resistors, I now see resistors have changed for led use. Good Luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvzwq___P4

Hi Torxhead.
Hmmm. Maybe I worded the post wrong. :(

I know they require a resistor but have never seen the resistor wired like as seen in the photos.

I learned to splice (close to the light bulb housing) the power wire and connect one side of the resistor, then splice the ground wire sheath on the ground and connect the other resistor wire... Still confused? (See photo below)

I have never heard or seen anyone on the web that grounded the resistor directly to the ground!

I also noticed they didn't install my headlamp relay and had drained my battery to 9v. So, I would like to hear from people who have done LED resistors this way before trying. Or should I try the lights? I already charged the battery......

Thanks for your help. :)

PS. The below photo of what I found on line and how I installed my LEDs in the past.

Also this was a "project" they decided to do, even against my constant vocalized protest.

Attachments

• LED-load-resistor-splice-12.jpg
    LED-load-resistor-splice-12.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 125
The LEDs take less voltage and can cause power "feedback." But generally doesn't cause any huge issues except that the lights won't work properly.

I had part LED and part incandescent before going to the shop to have them install my drive train and perform mods that neither ever happened. I had slight power feedback because I didn't install the resistors but that was not my priority. I should have either removed the LED bulbs and installed the incandescent or just continued to work on the jeep myself.. :(

As the most important things did not get done (installing the drive train and getting the mods from the blazer to work on the jeep. Instead they installed LED resistors....When they could have just (left the wiring alone) or as a secondary option they could have just installed a pair of incandescent dual filament bulbs. But that is a long painful time. So, I digress.

If anyone else can chime in about the ground side being wrong or??? That would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can't offer any advice, but am waiting somewhat patiently for some info - will come in handy fairly soon :chug:

Are you sure those are 'resistors', and not diodes?:confused:
I run LED taillights with turns. The only thing I did to be sure they worked as they should, was to switch to a motorized flasher unit that doesn't depend on the load of the circuit to cycle the lights. Very handy when tow'n a trailer also.
LG

Are you sure those are 'resistors', and not diodes?:confused:
I run LED taillights with turns. The only thing I did to be sure they worked as they should, was to switch to a motorized flasher unit that doesn't depend on the load of the circuit to cycle the lights. Very handy when tow'n a trailer also.
LG

Hey Lumpy :)

Yes, the little black box is the resistor. The diode (if it has one) is under the heat shrink in line. I will have to splice the heat shrink open and can post a photo.
I also removed everything and reinstalled the incandescent bulbs after a scary experience (long story) with their wiring.

Hmm. It sux that no one can chine in and give LED advice.
I asked some LED companies for their professional opinion about the install.

Ps. The diode is the cylinder thing with the stripe and heat shrink. The little black box is the resistor.

Attachments

• CAM10179.jpg
    CAM10179.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Lumpy it has been a while since I installed LEDs and couldn't remember which side was the blocking side. ;)

Easiest way to use LED lamps is to buy a flasher specific for LED use. Simple plug n like the original, and no cluge of resistors, diodes, etc.

Captain,

Several years ago I had LEDs in which I used the "special" grounded flashers along with the diodes and resistors but for now I pulled their work and installed incandescent and everything seems fine. Either the shop was really stupid or big time crooks. Or both... :(

Easiest way to use LED lamps is to buy a flasher specific for LED use. Simple plug n like the original, and no cluge of resistors, diodes, etc.
What he said is correct. Every bulb is my Jeeps are led except for headlights. Not a single issue.

Sorry for the late response but, I ended up redoing the entire wiring in the jeep due to complications with the way they incorrectly wired it. I also bought new front (halo style) and side three wire LED (ground, turn running function) lights and installed them. Along with two relays for the front headlights.
Now EVERYTHING (sensors, bulbs, etc) works correctly. :)

I also ended up fabbing and welding my own exhaust. but that's for another thread.

What he said is correct. Every bulb is my Jeeps are led except for headlights. Not a single issue.

That is great info for those of us who haven't been able to get leds to work on our CJs.
Could you please tell us which flasher are you using?
I have already tried two different types of electronic flashers and neither the turn signals nor the emergency flasher blink. They jus atay on continuously.
Right now I'm waiting for a couple of flashers with the extra ground wire to arrive in order to test them
Thank you for your comments.

That is great info for those of us who haven't been able to get leds to work on our CJs.
Could you please tell us which flasher are you using?
I have already tried two different types of electronic flashers and neither the turn signals nor the emergency flasher blink. They jus atay on continuously.
Right now I'm waiting for a couple of flashers with the extra ground wire to arrive in order to test them
Thank you for your comments.

Hi Tucan,
Here is the flasher (x2) I used for my led front and side led lights. I used the three wire LED lights. (one wire for ground, one for running and one for turn lights). Also, don't get the cheap leds or it may be hard to get them to work properly.
I will try to post photos of the halo front leds and rectangle side leds asap.
I ran a direct ground wire from the lights ground wire to the negative battery.

Here are a couple of pictures of the flashers I used.
Most of the time you'll need resistors.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_105740.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105740.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180925_105817.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105817.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20180925_105806.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105806.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180925_105915.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105915.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Here is a couple of photos of the led flashers installed. Make sure you buy the flashers with the designated ground wire too.

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_105427.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105427.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180925_105447.jpg
    IMG_20180925_105447.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 31
Here are a few photos of my front, side and rear leds. One-day I'll have to change out my old headlights and get Leds too.
(In addition, I converted all of my dash, the dome and courtesy lights to Leds too.)

Hope yours go well. If you have specific questions probably best to open a new thread though. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_163246.jpg
    IMG_20180925_163246.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180925_163255.jpg
    IMG_20180925_163255.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180925_163306.jpg
    IMG_20180925_163306.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20180925_163357.jpg
    IMG_20180925_163357.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 55

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks