late model tilt

late model tilt

amp1956

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
69 cj 5. Buick v6 stock now but starting rebuild been sitting for 5 or 6 years plus I have others
Has aybody used a later model gm tilt column in a older 69 CJ5 or somewhat close???????

amp1956,
Here is pictures of a `66.
Suggest you by a newer dash to begin, this customer said he had a new dash after I already installed column. Since the rest of your steering will be Ross, you need to replace all with Saginaw (box, mount & shaft) either manual or power which will need a pump (on a 4 have to fab to make work, on a V6 available). A double eye knuckle on the right side with one piece tie rod kit, than your pedals (and heater) will be in the way, so you might as well upgrade to newer dual swinging pedals from a `76+, and reinforce firewall (with plate on outside and bar on inside). And replace brake master cylinder & combo valve with newer.
There is a lot of time and money for this upgrade, but when done will be worth it. Have pictures and parts list if needed.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• AZ Steering & pedals 1 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Steering & pedals 1 (Copy).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 166
  • AZ Steering & pedals 2 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Steering & pedals 2 (Copy).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 106
This is exactly what we are looking for with our '59 build. If you have more pictures I (and mriplaybass) would like to see them. Thanks! :)

oldjeeplady,
Here are some more, this guy had a Viking winch in the front that I wanted to move up and forward (he is spooling off the top) to put a regular Saginaw box up front w/ a newer CJ5 mount, but he got hooked up with "Herm The Overdrive Guy". So he got the Bronco style box above the axle, I said sell it and get the right stuff and I will move the winch how it should be, he did not want that. He also got the wrong DS Exhaust so had to find one of those also. Instead of wiring a `66 to the Saginaw I put in a used 1980 CJ5 wiring harness and scrapped the old.
This next Spring I am going back to Glendale, AZ to rebuild his trans/transfer case, new springs, shocks, shackles, DL`s and put newer CJ5 11" brakes w/ e-brakes on. He is in failing health and wants to spend his time wheeling the desert with his grandkids, and leave it with his oldest.
P.S. when I took the intake off there was casting slag in the heads, so he got a quick porting job for free.

Attachments

• AZ Bulkhead 1 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Bulkhead 1 (Copy).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 106
  • AZ Bulkhead 2 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Bulkhead 2 (Copy).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 125
  • AZ Steering 3 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Steering 3 (Copy).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 137
  • AZ Steering 4 (Copy).jpg
    AZ Steering 4 (Copy).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 71
  • AZ Front Discs (Copy).jpg
    AZ Front Discs (Copy).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 79

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks