Jeep Trailer(s)

Jeep Trailer(s)
Pretty cool setup. If your pulling it on the trails you dont want to go wider and hook it on a tree.

Thanks guys! We have yet to really take it off road, we've mostly been to campgrounds. It suits us just fine for now. You know how it goes, you always end up upgrading..lol

A few months ago I finally found & bought an M416 trailer. My joy was short lived when I discovered the interior dimensions were not 4’x6’ feet as I always believed.
The primary purpose for this trailer was camping / off road adventures but also to use it as a utility trailer allowing me to haul an occasisonal sheet of plywood etc..
After learning the size discrepency I decided to build one. I copied the design of the military trailer but used 16 ga steel for the body & 1/8” thick tube for the frame. The tongue is 1/4” 2x3” channel.
Both welded & aircraft rivets. The bed, front wall & inside tailgate are 1/8” diamond plate.
The bed inside is 48 1/2” wide by 72 1/2” long. With the tailgate down, it is just over 8’ long. Perfect for hauling anything I want!
The M416 weighs 602lbs and mine weighs in at exactly 700lbs. Not bad considering how much stronger it is.
The top-rails are 1”x1”x 1/8” square tube because I didn’t have any way to form the round edge.
The tongue has a 2” receiver tube with accommodates either a 2” ball coupler or a lunette ring for a pintle hook.
Axle is rated at 3500lbs, hubs at 5,000lbs with a 5 on 5.5” bolt pattern to match my Jeeps. The hitch is 5,000 and 15,000 lb capacity.
All the lighting is LED.
I’m extremely pleased with the way it turned out & may go into production making more. Next time I’ll try square fenders.
This is a very cool trailer.

Resurrecting this thread - hope that's OK. I just completed my Dinoot trailer build and thought others might be interested in my experience. Ordered the "J-Series" with the frame and axle included, making sure to specify the hub bolt patterns to match my '84 CJ7. I wanted to use the same tire size and have the wheels be interchangeable. I also got the CJ style tailgate, with brackets and latches, and also an included tonneau cover. Mostly I'm quite pleased with the components. The tonneau cover is great and fits perfectly, although I didn't like the clamps that hold the frame of it on. I welded the large wingnuts to the heads of the bolts used to clamp the frame down so I wouldn't need tools to put it on/off when desired. I had to trim the fenders quite a bit to fit my 35" tires to match what's on the Jeep. It was also a pain to locate the matching YJ flares and had to buy a full set and then sell the front ones since all I needed was the rears. I used diamond plate aluminum for the floor rather than wood, and then rhino-lined the entire entire like my Jeep has. Supplied my own LED taillights and guards and wiring harness, again matching the Jeep's lights and guards. Same paint job as the Jeep and they make a great matching pair. Once the assembly was done, I discovered that the weight wasn't balanced properly and the light tongue weight caused the trailer to sway when towing it empty. I added a tongue mounted toolbox (about 35 pounds empty) and that solved the problem. The entire trailer, wheels and tires included, weighs just 620 pounds. Now I did make my own extended shackles in the rear to lift the suspension to fit the tires. That may have changed the weight distribution a bit and I'll take the blame for that. But this "kit" still took a lot of re-engineering and design work and fabrication to make it all go together and work properly. So if you go this route, be prepared for more work than just assembling "kit pieces".

Attachments

• 20210724_171944.jpg
    20210724_171944.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210724_171952.jpg
    20210724_171952.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210728_194433.jpg
    20210728_194433.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210728_194438.jpg
    20210728_194438.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Shackle.jpg
    Shackle.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Side_Trailer_Only.jpg
    Side_Trailer_Only.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Jeep_And_Trailer_Side_View.jpg
    Jeep_And_Trailer_Side_View.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 4
Resurrecting this thread - hope that's OK. I just completed my Dinoot trailer build and thought others might be interested in my experience. Ordered the "J-Series" with the frame and axle included, making sure to specify the hub bolt patterns to match my '84 CJ7. I wanted to use the same tire size and have the wheels be interchangeable. I also got the CJ style tailgate, with brackets and latches, and also an included tonneau cover. Mostly I'm quite pleased with the components. The tonneau cover is great and fits perfectly, although I didn't like the clamps that hold the frame of it on. I welded the large wingnuts to the heads of the bolts used to clamp the frame down so I wouldn't need tools to put it on/off when desired. I had to trim the fenders quite a bit to fit my 35" tires to match what's on the Jeep. It was also a pain to locate the matching YJ flares and had to buy a full set and then sell the front ones since all I needed was the rears. I used diamond plate aluminum for the floor rather than wood, and then rhino-lined the entire entire like my Jeep has. Supplied my own LED taillights and guards and wiring harness, again matching the Jeep's lights and guards. Same paint job as the Jeep and they make a great matching pair. Once the assembly was done, I discovered that the weight wasn't balanced properly and the light tongue weight caused the trailer to sway when towing it empty. I added a tongue mounted toolbox (about 35 pounds empty) and that solved the problem. The entire trailer, wheels and tires included, weighs just 620 pounds. Now I did make my own extended shackles in the rear to lift the suspension to fit the tires. That may have changed the weight distribution a bit and I'll take the blame for that. But this "kit" still took a lot of re-engineering and design work and fabrication to make it all go together and work properly. So if you go this route, be prepared for more work than just assembling "kit pieces".
Nice work !

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks