Jeep-CJ Trail Ride - Ouray, CO 2017

Jeep-CJ Trail Ride - Ouray, CO 2017

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hi all,

I have tons of gopro video to still get together, but this is some teaser stuff from my phone.

My Brother, Uncle, Cousin, and I started out of Sacramento, CA on Friday 8/11. I hooked my CJ up to my parent's 33' motorhome.

O9b6c4U.jpg

M1tTgNs.jpg

I kept a eye on it while driving nicely :)

mmMKkhE.jpg

We pulled into Ouray, CO early Saturday afternoon and set up our camp and installed driveshafts etc. Met up with 007 for a brew and some pizza. I had stopped on way and grabbed some seats he wanted from a guy in Grand Junction, CO off craigslist.

Sunday 8/13/17

So Sunday morning he came by and we installed those over a morning beverage. Sunday was a meet and greet day, and a bunch of the group was going to go up Porkeepsie Gulch for a fun run. We decided to see how the jeeps were going to run on our own with a mild and close trail. 007 told us about Yankee Boy Basin trail, so we pulled out our books and maps and got it marked out.

Stopped at the brewery in town for a late breakfast first though ;)

fvx6rKZ.jpg

DmmELbL.jpg

View from Brewery upstairs dining is sweet:

axYCDqZ.jpg

Then up Yankee Boy to see some awesome views to start off the week!

Uncle, Brother, and Cousin sitting and taking in the view from close to summit of Yankee boy.

sCwRZpb.jpg

fHze0Ct.jpg

Uncles 72 CJ5 looking out into the mountains:

fZu7hFb.jpg

My 74 CJ5

To3qDN0.jpg

IevFU0I.jpg

SO everywhere we stop throughout the week, my "billy/mountain-goat cousin will run up a hill or mountin for good photos, and just because he's a jerk with a lot of energy still! :laugh: Here's his first "small" adventure up above a mine we found blocked off:

ycKwotq.jpg

Here's me with a much shorter investigation of the mine:

IOZfJZF.jpg

It appears CO is reclaiming and closing a lot of the used to be open mines around:

JlhX9Bi.jpg

My Uncle (Oakie):

Gvawcvz.jpg

Here's inside the Mine:

alG5A1V.jpg

My Brother went a bit further to check over the next crest:

Ix8BeZu.jpg

Some more from Yankee Boy:

tBff1MW.jpg

This pano is a bit weird but kinda cool - the trail / road is actually straight, not u-turned...

y58N5em.jpg

From here we headed back down the mountain to Ouray to finally meet up with every one else for the trip (that was there so far) for pizza at the old Hotel in town.

More to come... Gotta get back to work for a bit... lol still playing catch-up.

Others feel free to add to this one or make a new separate thread - your call(s).

:chug:
~ Jr

Last edited:
August 14th - Engineer Pass - Animas Ghost town - Silverton

This was the first "official day" of the 2017 trail ride. We all went on the same trails I believe this day as our group wasn't "too" large and we all liked the trail choices. 10 Jeeps, 1 left behind for Alternator issue, but driver tagged along with Snooby.

To the good stuff! ;)

I have a lot of the climb up to Engineer Pass on my GoPro, so I'll add the video later. We took the million dollar hwy - hwy 550 - to a cut off to Engineer Pass trail.

One jeep had some small issues on the way up the hill and decided to head back to do some repairs in town after we tried to get the issue straightened out. turned out to be a missing gasket at the carb choke, so easy fix when they found it later in the day.

Here's a couple shots from the top of Engineer Pass - topping out at 12,800 ft elevation.

Ehd5Wwr.jpg

nhzZNIb.jpg

My Uncle and my jeep

s6CU6Gn.jpg

My Brother looking out over the range:

5YAPsxk.jpg

We started back down the mountains towards Animas Ghost Town - Elevation 11,200 ft per Wiki:

fU9kH4q.jpg

yd0usNZ.jpg

1yUpGC6.jpg

2OVh9bN.jpg

Then lined up again in Animas Ghost town:

4QNqJBY.jpg

dfw2udD.jpg

Here's some more info on the ghost town:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animas_Forks,_Colorado

From there we headed towards Silverton along the apline loop trails, and back to Ouray along the hwy 550.

Some stayed in Silverton and ate @ Handlebars.

I ran back to Ouray and grabbed truck to take 007 to get his alternator, and pistoldave to get his truck for easier morning commuting from Montrose.

More to follow

Last edited:
:ty:
74-What engine retuning did you do for the higher altitude?:confused:
I'm still carb'd and was curious.
I live at 2700', and think'n real hard about this run next year.
We would be staying in Silverton at one of the camp grounds.
LG

007 actually gave us a bit of advice when we started talking about re-tuning.

All we did was lean out the mixture screws about 1/2 to full turn each, and set the timing advanced until it sounded good and started good, then reset the idle to road or trail (lower / higher). Ran like champs... Only flooded out a few times on large obstacles like the wall on PG.

We both have mechanical (stock) fuel pumps, and MC2100 carbs.

We had no issues at all with vapor lock or high altitude during our trip.

However, I have a idea as to why we didn't with no fuel line wrapping / heat shielding, and others did with hood vents, heat shielding and electric pumps etc. Our exhaust is run outside out frame rails (fender well headers) and everyone else's exhaust is in between the frame rails and keeps heat in there, at least more than ours...

That's just a off the top of my head assumption as others have fought vapor lock etc up there and spent time and money to avoid it, and we had no issues with no pre-prep to stop it...

Now if we had smaller jets they may have run a little cleaner, but they did great with the standard 1.08 venti and jets that came with these carbs. Think they're #47 but I'd have to confirm...

Jr, another reason you all had no vapor lock might be the shorter wheelbase and under seat fuel tanks. Much shorter distance from the tank to the carb, less heat in the cab, insulation mats under the fuel tank which is standard for this tank location all should be helping. I see the group from the CJ2a page has no problems with vapor lock on these same trails.
We were not so lucky, I think Murphy was riding with us most of the week. But we still had a great time.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for posting. Question - Why are some pictures GREAT BIG and others expandable?

Thats true for me with the under seat - i ran on it most of the week, but did run off back too sometimes and uncle just runs on the rear. But its still a good point! :chug:

We had a blast with you guys! You're fun people!

Hedgehog- those are all from my iphone. Different orientations of the phone, and different settings for the photos (like the panoramic ones) will expand different, and they're huge files so the site is showing them really large when expanded in original form...

Plus the mountains were just big so the photos matched! Lol :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for putting those pictures up-really nice!

So much more to come still! Just taking me a bit to find the time... tons of videos too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom