Engine Impact of not putting thread sealant on #11 head bolt

ajprengler

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
258 I6
Auto 4x4
Got a new to us 78 CJ7. Had the engine rebuilt and they didn't put sealant on the #11 head bolt. Coolant was pooling just below a number of the head bolts. I pulled the head bolt and added sealant and torqued back down, but still getting coolant seeping out. I know it could have been a cracked head or blown gasket, but curious if anyone has experience with the impact of forgetting the thread sealant on the #11 bolt. Worried that coolant pressurized and maybe blew out the head gasket. Anyone have experience with this?

I don't have experience but know that even though the TSM does not call for sealant on the #11 bolt (drivers side front left) it does go into the water jacket. Permatex #3 or Loctie 592 work well.
Where is the water seaping? Inside the rocker area, the out side head gasket or in the cylinder?
Is it over heating (blown head gasket)? Why did you pull the head?

This stuff works great for checking for exhaust gassed in your coolant.

Yes you need to put thread sealant on that bolt. Your head gasket is most likely compromised now. This is an easy fix. I would peel the head back, install with new head gasket, and be sure to put some thread sealant on that front bolt. I used white pipe thread dope but just about anything will work - in my opinion the thicker consistency thread sealers would be beneficial here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks