I'd like to say something about the T-5

I'd like to say something about the T-5

LanceMaster

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7
Howell Throttle Body Injection
305,000 miles. Engine rebuild at 196,000.
NV3550 trans, D300 Transfer
2.5" spring lift
Yukon axles
Custom rust
In a T-5 use synthetic GL4 lube ONLY!

The T-5 is inherently week, mainly due to it's bearing and journal design. BUT it is ok for moderate 4-wheeling, behind a 6-cylinder, given proper lubricant!!! Here's what I found;

Not long after I bought my CJ7 I was doing routine maintenance. I went to a Jeep parts dept and asked them what trans lubricant I should use. He said to use normal 75w90 gear oil, so I did. Dumb me.

About a year later I lost 4th gear. So I pulled the trans and took it to a specialty shop for a rebuild. When I picked it up I asked them what lube should I use? They said because it was an aluminum case transmission I should use ATF. Hmmmm, ok.

A couple years later this rebuild got so loose I had to pull it again. This time I drove a couple hundred miles and exchanged it for a remanufactured transmission, not a rebuilt. (yes, there is a difference). Again, I asked them what lube should I use? They should know right, and they too said because it was an aluminum case transmission I should use synthetic ATF.

BTW, on both rebuilds I noticed the input shaft had very, very minor play in it. 1000th's of an inch maybe but enough for me to take notice.

UGH! A couple years later I lost 2nd gear!!!

All of these were bearing related failures.

This time I found a very good rebuild manual and did it myself. Guys, it's not that hard if you have a good manual, tools and patience. I also set the input shaft bearing clearances tight, but within specs, and it still didn't feel right so I shimmed it just a teeny tiny bit tighter to where it felt better.

Here's what else I found: after hours and hours of searching I found a small note on a trans conversion/rebuild web site that said to ONLY USE GL4 lube in the T-5. NOT GL5 that is backwards compatible, NOT ATF, NOT regular gear oil. HAS TO BE GL4.

After my own rebuild I used Redline MTL which is a synthetic GL4 specific, and went almost 10 years without T5 problems again. I enjoy finding old skidder roads in the Cascades mountains so the T5 took some punishment and held up.

I only switched to a NV3550 because the snap ring holding 5th gear in place slipped out of the grove in the mainshaft and I already had an NV3550 a guy gave away.

In the T-5, use synthetic GL4 lube ONLY!

Good info!! Thanks for sharing.
I don't have the T-5 in my Jeep [I have a T 176] but there are a lot of T-5's out there.

Wow, that's tenacity to keep a less than desirable trans running. I would have swapped it out on the second failure.

Been run'n a T5 since I bought my Jeep new in 1985.
What killed MANY T5's was the ATF use and the stupidity high RP ratios.
I have run syn 75w since it came out. Because I could no longer buy the AMC 'stink-oil'
that was OEM.
Have close to 130K miles on my CJ7 now.
Have a spare T5 that I rebuilt 15 years ago still sitting in the garage.
Gary

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks