I need help with a 1969 Dauntless 225 V6 distributor

I need help with a 1969 Dauntless 225 V6 distributor

cj51234

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 CJ5 Dauntless 225 V6
I am working on a 1969 CJ5. It has a Dauntless 225 in it. I believe that this is what is called an odd fire engine.

It is consistently backfiring out the exhaust at high rpms. The vacuum advance is broken on the Prestolite IAT-4502 distributor.

I would like to replace the distributor with a Delco, but I can not find a replacement. Napa says that their is not one. One distributor said the same (rebuild the Prestolite only).

Does anyone have a Delco part number that will work? Or should I grab a 1976 Buick skylark distributor 481693?

That's what I did for my 67. Went to NAPA and ordered a distributor for a 75 Skylark. I did have to grind a little off the intake for clearance.

CRETE4U

Did you have any issues with the swap? What plug wires did you use? Was there a noticeable difference in performance?

Does anyone have any specific part numbers that will work?

Don't expect to drop it in and go. It takes some fiddling to get it to fit. I had to grind some off of the intake manifold. I had clearance problems with the vacuum advance. I probably put it in and pulled it out 5, or 6 times. Some of my problems had to do with the power steering pump mount that I used. Had to modify that. I used 8mm wires, I think Accell.sp. It was worth it. Starts and runs a lot better. I don't have part numbers handy, but buy parts for a 75-76 Skylark and it should work. Search and read,:) you'll be fine.

The most used Delco # for Jeep V6 engines was: 1110376
Others were: 1110322, 1110342

Delco points distributor will drop right in, no modifications needed.

I believe the other poster is talking about modifications that are required when converting to an HEI electronic distributor.

I dont know much about the Buick odd fire and I do see that you are specifically asking about the delco dist, but what about dropping in an HEI conversion? 1 wire hook up electronic ignition :chug: Buick HEI

The most used Delco # for Jeep V6 engines was: 1110376
Others were: 1110322, 1110342

Delco points distributor will drop right in, no modifications needed.

I believe the other poster is talking about modifications that are required when converting to an HEI electronic distributor.
Yes this is the part of his question I was talking about. "should I grab a 1976 Buick skylark distributor 481693"?

Thank you everyone.

hagar, I did try to find a remanufactured Delco of the numbers that you recommend with no luck. Napa lists one for a 1968 CJ5 but not the 69. I called the parts distributor and they said the same. I can't believe that they don't have a few on the shelf that will fit.

Posi, The 76 Buick regal delco distributor looks like a good option. If it drops in, I can add a petronix kit and be done.

The CJ5 is up for sale and I want to make it more attractive for buyers. It sounds like the best option is 76 Buick regal deco distributor. FYI it still has the oil bath air filter on it too. I think it should be swapped out too.

What is the easiest way to verify that I am working on an odd fire engine?

The distributor cap has evenly spaced terminals.

If the posts are evenly spaced around the circumference, it's an even fire. If there are two closer together than the rest, it's an oddfire
I worked on my Prestolite points distributor all day yesterday. I want to do the Delco/Pertronix conversion and I'm glad I saw this. I was under the impression I had an oddfire until I saw your simple tip. Thanks!

There are several other ways to determine if you have a even or odd fire.
All 225's are odd-fire.Not all the info presented is accurate.This is the inter-web. :D careful. mike

I am posting some pics of a 1969 225 distributer.Hope this will help you I.D
your dist/engine/??

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks