How to track down factory build info on a CJ?

How to track down factory build info on a CJ?

CJ7JEEP1979

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 304 bored .30 over with a performance cam. 4 speed manual, 35x12.50x15 tires, 4 inch suspension lift. 4 barrel Holley.
One of the things I have run into is trying to track down what my 77 CJ5 and 79 CJ7 came with from the factory. Not so much as the engine and tranny as both are original in both Jeeps but whether they were Renegades etc etc. The 77 was a Levi Edition edition and was made in Toledo Ohio. The vin is super short and most places I have searched came back as invalid and the one search that was successful only showed that it was a CJ5, year, and place of manufacture.

My 79 CJ7 is factory 304 and factory t18a 4 speed and appears to be black, though a lot of the body is grey primer. It is also exempt from having cats as it did not come with them. The 77 CJ5 is factory 304 and 3 speed, has cats from the factory and is a weird shade of green that does not appear on the color list for 77 but does appear from the 76 color list. The closest color match appears to be Reef green poly but its darker than what the color code shows, it's odd.

Any leads to get more info since Chrysler and Amc did not communicate very well with keeping data on older CJ's?

Post up the complete VIN numbers for both Jeeps.
Be aware that the VIN will not disclose Renegade information.
Package information is not thru the VIN.

I never had much luck finding anything out with my 13 digit VIN. Is there some real assistance out there?

My 79 CJ7 is factory 304 and factory t18a 4 speed and appears to be black, though a lot of the body is grey primer. It is also exempt from having cats as it did not come with them.
All 79 CJs came from the factory with a catalytic converter. CA. 6 cylers used a monolithic cat and a pellet cat. The 8 cyl used a pellet cat.
The vin tag has the trim code however you need the parts book to decode.
The only Renegade you can ID by the vin tag is the Silver Anniversary as it’s the only Renegade with a paint code of 8c
The internet isn’t much help with vin IDs unless you look deeper.
Asking Chrysler for help with anything CJ would be a total waste of time.

I never had much luck finding anything out with my 13 digit VIN. Is there some real assistance out there?
There is plenty of info on the 13 digit vin, as mentioned post your vin. May not have everything your looking for but has enough.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks