Engine How to repair leaking carburetor

Engine How to repair leaking carburetor

Papoumd

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘72 CJ5, 304 V8, D30 & D44
1972 CJ5, 304 V8. I overhauled the carburetor (Holley 2BBL) less than a year ago. It worked fine until a few days ago when it started leaking. See attached pic. The screw in the center of the red circle is stripped and won’t tighten down. The leak seems to be coming from where the accelerator links comes in. How can I repair/fix that screw and stop the leak? CJ repair for dummies, please :-)

DB3C855D-4E6F-4A3D-8C51-408A7AC74FCB.jpeg

Solution
As TSB said it can be fixed. Unfortunately the Holley Carb is pot metal. But Holley makes a fix kit for 2 and 4 bbl. You need to keep your original bolts so the bolt head seals to the bowl as it (the bolt head gasket) is what needs to be seated to stop the leak. The bolts are different lengths depending on if you have a metering plate or a metering block. Just use your original bolt as it is most likely not stripped.

Take a look.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Well obviously a new screw is needed to replace the stripped one. Then you'll need to determine how bad the threads are in the hole in the carb body as well. Not too bad, perhaps running a tap to clean them back up will save it. There's also a trick people do by wrapping a small piece of wire around the screw or bolt and putting it back in. Here's a video on that: Wire trick

The next option would be to drill and tap that hole to the next size up and use a matching larger bolt.

As TSB said it can be fixed. Unfortunately the Holley Carb is pot metal. But Holley makes a fix kit for 2 and 4 bbl. You need to keep your original bolts so the bolt head seals to the bowl as it (the bolt head gasket) is what needs to be seated to stop the leak. The bolts are different lengths depending on if you have a metering plate or a metering block. Just use your original bolt as it is most likely not stripped.

Take a look.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solution
Oops, just looked again at your original pic, your Carb has a metering block. Just use the fix (drill and heli coil) and your good to go. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks