How Safety Conscious are you?

Do you wear seat belts

• Not often. Especially when off-road I don't go fast enough to necessitate seat belts.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I don't wear seat belts as often as I should.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I wear seat belts almost all the time

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I never drive without seat belts

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I never move my Jeep unless all pasengers are buckled

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
How Safety Conscious are you?

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I am curious how many of you follow all the safety rules such as seat belts.
Also give comments about how you feel about roll bars? Do you need a full roll cage? Is a simple roll bar behind the driver okay? Do you think you don't need roll bars as long as you drive cautiously?

I am curious how many of you follow all the safety rules such as seat belts.
Also give comments about how you feel about roll bars? Do you need a full roll cage? Is a simple roll bar behind the driver okay? Do you think you don't need roll bars as long as you drive cautiously?
I dont wear my seat belt as much as i should but when you jump in for a little drive i dont all ways do. ALWAYS wear it when I offroad. Im going to install a set of 4 point in my new jeep even though its not going to see alot of hard offroading. But when I do use it offroad i want to stay in not get thrown out in case of a roll over.
As for a roll cage I beleave everyone should have a full role cage in their jeep. Its alot safer even if you are using it as a pure on road rig. Why i say that is you can roll your jeep on flat land and there isnt alot of protection with just a bar behind you. Ive seen a few jeep roll and the windshield crunshes pretty easy.
Here is a youtube video of a roll over without a full cage Moab Rimb Rollover - YouTube

Ya thats a good one ive seen it before.

The number one rule in my JEEP is, you MUST wear your seatbelt. :)
Even though I've never rolled mine, I have seen a couple of flops and rollovers.
IMO all jeeps should have cages not just roll bars. That's on and off road.

Last edited:
Not my pic. it's off the web.

Attachments

• rollover_3.jpg
    rollover_3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24,828
Wow the dog and driver ejected. I wonder what happened to the guy in back. Looks like he was almost ejected but grabbed the roll bar. That Toyota isn't done rolling (the dust tells you the front tire is lifting off the ground fast!). I wonder how everyone came out.
7546d1324242961-how-safety-conscious-you-rollover_3.jpg

I don't know the story, but it isn't looking good for the guy in the back.

I have been upside down twice. Never been hurt. You do not ride in my 5 on the road without a lap belt and you do not ride off-road unles you have all 5 points.

And, I only wheel with a full cage - now...

My 1st roll over was with just a roll bar, fed up the windshield frame but it held! They are strong!

Ive operated too many vehicles and know better, when off road, Im strapped in. Same goes for running construction equipment, things can go to :dung: in a nano-second, and your along for the ride !

Statistically, the best way to extend your life span is to wear a seat belt. I do not like the fact that someone tells me I have to wear a belt or I will be fined and it would go a long way toward cleaning the gene pool if no such law existed. Then just us intelligent people would use them, like a special club or something. I don't leave the driveway with out buckling up. :cool:

When I drive on road, use the stock seatbelt setup. Off road I use a 4 point harness system. Have a full cage in the 7, tied into the frame. Think the tie-in setup is something many overlook and go with the thought the stock cage/roll bar bolted to the tub is good enough.

I am very safety concious, but that doesn't mean I wear my selt belt all the time. Although, we are required by law in AZ to wear them so it's not really up to me any more.

WARNING-RANT STARTS HERE:D This is hot topic on my local site and some people have gone overboard and tend to police pictures. You probably will be flamed if you post a pic in which you are not wearing a seat belt. It's similar with cages. And, it is preached to new members that the first thing they should do before a lift or tires is put in a full cage and five point seat belts. When in reality 99% of the people saying that did not do it, and became holier than thou once they learned something or had an experience like a flop or rollover.

I don't think people should be recklessly irresponsible, especially if it endangers someone around them or a kid. But the definition or reckless is construed so many ways by so many people. For example; if someone loses someone because the seat belt was not on, then they have a different reality then a person that has gotten through life never wearing a seatbelt. To the person that lost someone, a person that does not wear a seatbelt is highly irresponsible. I personally don't believe in chastising people for their habits, I wouldn't get invloved unless I was to see something way out of hand.

IMO we have already given up so much to the government. It seems all kinds of new laws are in effect because someone jumped behind a cause and groups get behind it to start trying to get the word out. It then ends up being the basis for another loss of a freedom to someone that is responsible and did not need to be told exactly what to do and when to do it. END RANT

I don't have 5 point but will be getting, not for more safety, but because it's a lot of work holding up 220 lbs at a 45 degree side angles :laugh:.

I will be doing a different roll bar, but not because I am overly concerned for my life, but because it will be part of a final design I have in mind.

We have a seat belt law here in Colorado. We do not have a helmet law. I ride a motorcycle and I always wear a helmet.
I am very much against the government making laws on how I should live my life. Don't tell me to wear a helmet (even though I always do).
You should be able to do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt someone else. If you want to do crazy or dangerous things that's your prerogative. Base jump off a cliff, hang glide or drive down the street without a helmet or seat belts, it's your choice.
Now for the children it's a different story they can't yet make the decision. States should (and in most cases do) have laws saying children should have seat belts or helmets. Once you're an adult you should be able to make your own decisions.

It's been "Click It or Ticket" here for several years. Sometimes I wonder if the emphasis is more on the Ticket than the Click It.

I come from the motorcycle road racing community and I have been down on the pavement at 100mph more than once. I also have been hit twice by a car while on my motorcycle. One was when a car turn left in front of me and the other was me getting side swiped. Both time I got hurt but I survived and healed properly thanks to my all gear all the time attitude. Not jut a helmet, but boots, jacket gloves and proper riding pants. With that being said I take the same mentality in my Jeep. Be safe and smart.

My CJ doesn't move until the passenger and myself are buckled in. I dont care what the law is, it's for my own safety as well as my passengers. :chug:

Edit: Btw, this year TTC is requiring helmets. Last year it was merely recommended. Im kinda surprised it wasn't required long before this, being a funded event and all and given the publicity it gets.

I dont wear my seat belt as much as i should but when you jump in for a little drive i dont all ways do. ALWAYS wear it when I offroad. Im going to install a set of 4 point in my new jeep even though its not going to see alot of hard offroading. But when I do use it offroad i want to stay in not get thrown out in case of a roll over.
As for a roll cage I beleave everyone should have a full role cage in their jeep. Its alot safer even if you are using it as a pure on road rig. Why i say that is you can roll your jeep on flat land and there isnt alot of protection with just a bar behind you. Ive seen a few jeep roll and the windshield crunshes pretty easy.
Here is a youtube video of a roll over without a full cage Moab Rimb Rollover - YouTube
The jeep in the Moab Rim rollover video.. Was that a stock CJ7 roll bar?

I have a CJ 5 with a Roll bar on a fiberglass body. The roll bar is bolted through the fender to a steel plate underneath but not to the frame.

Is it safe to drive this on the street? Doesn't sound like it would be wise to do any off roading with it but is it safe to drive on the street?

The jeep in the Moab Rim rollover video.. Was that a stock CJ7 roll bar?

I have a CJ 5 with a Roll bar on a fiberglass body. The roll bar is bolted through the fender to a steel plate underneath but not to the frame.

Is it safe to drive this on the street? Doesn't sound like it would be wise to do any off roading with it but is it safe to drive on the street?

Yes, that's a stock CJ rollbar. Typically, the rollbar is only bolted to the fenderwells and the floor... You can see it did it's job by not allowing the passengers to be crushed during the roll over.

In a fiberglass tub application....I really dont know. I would feel safer if it was tied into the frame.

Thanks Jim for anwsering. X2 on that it is stock

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom