How much play in 77 cj5 power steering

Bellworx

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 Levis Renegade 4.2L ,T18 1B, Dana 20

1982 CJ7 Laredo 4.0HO, T5, dana 300

1977 CJ7 Golden Eagle 327, TH400, quadratrac - deceased
Well I am upgrading my steering column from a non tilt to a tilt column. Got underneath the CJ5 after removing it and was looking at the steering shaft. I figured since I am here might as well do an upgrade on the steering shaft. I noticed there is quite a bit of play in the shaft while twisting it by hand. Again the column is out. The pitman arm barely moves a tad when I twist the shaft. Almost hard to see. The steering box is bolted tight and its not moving. It is power steering. My question is how much play should the steering box have? I recently purchased this jeep and have not driven it yet.

I shot video of this. Need to find out how to upload it. Im guessing a youtube link? BTW lawd its hot today!!! I was going to do this in my garage but didnt feel like moving stuff. Now I am paying the price!

Attachments

• 20190914_171342.jpg
    20190914_171342.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks