Build Thread How much does a $1500 Cj really cost?

Build Thread How much does a $1500 Cj really cost?
So I changed the name of the thread and Ill keep a running list of parts and prices as I go along. The initial list is pretty straight forward. All nlew front and rear brakes , drums , shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders , drilled and slotted rotors , pads , calipers , inner and outer wheel bearings , air filter , fuel filter , radiator hoses, thermostat , radiator cap and new plugs.

Thats in addition to the 4 new tires and a prebent stainless steel line from tank to carb. All totalled up thats an additional $1200. Still need all new fluids a few gaskets and some split loom for the wiring harness before we move on to the bodywork side of things. Plenty of other things on the list but all in due time.

As with all Jeep work, double the estimated budget for all the things that you uncover along the way. Fun though!

Last edited:
As with all Jeep work, double the estimated budget for all the things that you uncover along the way. Fun though!
These days maybe quadruple. :chug:

Ah yes the glory of the unforeseen 🤣

Shout out to Manic Mechanic. My stainless fuel lines from inline tube showed up today. Still have some shipping bends in the large tank to pump line but these look great. Add another $155.0327241559.jpg

Well I have to admit I was a bit unhappy with this project lately. My brother in law misidentifying the fuel line , the whole low hanging fuel tank had me take some time away from this in general. That doesn't mean I lost interest or wasnt doing anything with it. Exactly the opposite.

Grabbed a good 40 year old fender in really nice condition for $80. Thats a win.

0412241731_HDR.jpg

Also got some steel corner armor for $100. No pics cause I had to have my brother in law grab them for me. That worked out great though considering he was less than 10 minutes away from the seller and Im 2 hours out. They're some pretty nice steel that go from tailgate opening to door. Ill use a rust encapsulater before I put them on. I know Ill be doing a tub swap on it but thats later down the road. Need to have some fun with it first. 😉

And I am getting back to work on it tomorrow. Time to start cleaning up the frame and putting in some of those nice brake parts I bought. Hard to see in this pic but it has some adjustable Rancho 9000s on it.

0413241713.jpg

Wow got a 8 hr work day for once. Decided on some garage time. Better pics of the ugly but functional Rancho 9000s. Ill pull them and clean them up good. Jeez $465 for 4 of those.
0416241541~2.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the front of the frame. Lot of time with the wire wheel. Looks a lot better.

0416241742.jpg

Much better. Very time consuming this rust bucket is.

0416241856.jpg

Got a little more time on the frame. Couple hours. Not perfect but definitely looks better and will be better protected.

Before:

0413241713.jpg

After:

0425241523.jpg

While the shocks still function great they look horrible. The bushing on this one just crumbled when I took it apart. The shock boots have some holes as well. Two cans of rustoleum for almost $16. Joe Bidens America. 😡

Anyhow I'll clean repaint and then replace the bushings and boots. Even found some decals for them as well. Got my new pressure washer hose so shooting for that and all the new brake parts installed this weekend. 🤞🏻

0425241540.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks