How long was your build?

How long was your build?

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
To all of those out there. To what extent was your CJ build? And how long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the grand scheme of things mine is a fairly simple one, rebuilding different engine, transmission and upgrade the transfer case and a few other things that go with that. I'm approaching 3 years and installation is still down the road. I'm lucky, mine is running well, so no real hurry

You seem to imply that one could be "done"...

Let’s see that’s a tough one because I’m pretty sure a Jeep is never done. As for mine it’s been together and apart over the last 8years.

Bought it May 2016 as a retirement present to me, tore it down as soon I got it in the garage. Got it road worthy last summer, still needs body work and paint. This summer tranny/TC comes out again to fix a few issues it's having, then new drivelines go in. That sould round out the summer, oh yah still needs body work and paint. So I guess it's a 3 yr on going build.

Last edited:
20 years. And still a few things to correct.

I Bought my latest project in September of 2010 and got is on the road July 2016. This was a full teardown with major frame work, replacing the boady, scout axles including rebuilding them, painted the jeep myself and fully redone restomod style. Part of the reason for taking 6 year is I have a young daughter and we also had another one in 2013 which froze the project for about 8 months. In order to finish it I had to get up at 5am from January until July and work on it every morning before getting the kids up for school and going to work. I average 3-4 mornings and one weekend night to get it completed.

Attachments

• 20190118_082707.jpg
    20190118_082707.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 55
I Bought my latest project in September of 2010 and got is on the road July 2016. This was a full teardown with major frame work, replacing the boady, scout axles including rebuilding them, painted the jeep myself and fully redone restomod style. Part of the reason for taking 6 year is I have a young daughter and we also had another one in 2013 which froze the project for about 8 months. In order to finish it I had to get up at 5am from January until July and work on it every morning before getting the kids up for school and going to work. I average 3-4 mornings and one weekend night to get it completed.

You’re making me feel better Kane. I pay child support on three kids. (My son is on his last year). And my wife and I are expecting in August. I’ve done some minor things but the ol’ Jeep has pretty much sat for the first year. It’s funny, I get up before dawn as well to squeeze in some time. I’m hoping it takes no more than five years.

You’re making me feel better Kane. I pay child support on three kids. (My son is on his last year). And my wife and I are expecting in August. I’ve done some minor things but the ol’ Jeep has pretty much sat for the first year. It’s funny, I get up before dawn as well to squeeze in some time. I’m hoping it takes no more than five years.

It can be frustrating but if you want a Jeep built by you then it is worth it. Plus it also depends on how much you tackle on your own. I wanted to do everything even paint regardless of how perfect or not it would come out. This added alot of time to the project and added about a year to it. I cut my frame up and repaired, replaced and strengthened it. This took me close to a 9 months alone. I had a chance to buy a Matkins frame from a guy and turned it down and it would have saved me all that time but I want to stay with the original frame. It is all on the choices made for the build. I would say make your build realistic for your situation and stick to the plan. I laid out a budget and held to it no matter what. This kept me on track since I didn't feel guilty about spending too much money since my and the wife agreed to the budget. Also since it took almost 6 years I didn't feel like I was overspending with it being spread out over that timeframe.

lol mine is still going..... i started in 2003,, built a AMC 360, NV4500, D300 4 to 1, Dodge Dana 44 front narrowed, Dodge 9.25 narrowed with moser shafts and Tom Woods 1350 drive shafts,

need to bleed the brakes to get it on the road

Istillwant to paint it Bonzi blue with a hard top and powder coat everything under the Jeep

To all of those out there. To what extent was your CJ build? And how long did it take?

Well, mine was to entail new seats and paint. Took almost 6 years. Problem is, I still haven’t swapped out the seats. My biggest mistake was painting the “new” frame..... the old one had a couple cancer spots and wouldn’t pass inspection. Found a donor for 60 bucks that was virtually rust free - and since you can’t replace a frame without disassembly, and you can’t put dirty parts on a clean frame - I couldn’t even paint and swap seats in 6 years.....

Down side now is I can’t blame any of the PO’s for anything I find going forward - it’s all on me now 🤔

I'm not 100% positive when I started, but it's been at least 15 years. When I first acquired it, I took a good look at it from one end to the other and soon realized that the PO was a real hack. I had my work cut out for me. I put new tires on it, seats, wipers, windshield and frame, etc, etc, and painted it.

It was pathetically weak on power, but it wasn't until I took it to the NC mountains that I realized just how sick the lil amc 150 was.

Out came the engine, trans., and transfer case. I purchased and rebuilt an AMC 304 thinking it should be a simple swap considering that it was used in CJ7 and CJ5s (hahahaha..that's me laughing at myself). I so wish I had swapped in a SBC. Anyway, I replaced the T-4 with a Ford T-18, that I had rebuilt and used a Novak adapter to mate it with the Dana 300 TC that I also rebuilt. Rebuilt the brake system. Installed twin electric fans from a Contour (I believe). I could go on and on.

Anyway, I have a list of minor things to finish on it and then I plan on it being back on the road the first of June (this year). Oh and it's taken so long that it's in need of a new paint job again.

Hi all. My first post. I had a 73 CJ5 back in college that ended up being a sand drag Jeep with a small block Chevy, Muncie 4 speed etc. Fast forward the kids are grown up and gone, retirement in a few years and have been looking for one to restore. Scrolling CriagsList a year ago and there is a 73 CJ5, 304, all original steel, no rust (maybe a little) with paperwork that it came from California a year earlier. It was a good evening and weekend pandemic project. Six months in and the frame, driveline is done. Next step is to see if I remember how to do body work. Its been at least 40 years since the last car paint job.

I have been impressed by the availability of parts. Some take a few trys to get the right one (trans mount) or have to search a a year older (74 got the right rear wheel studs). I did loose the detent ball for the transfer case. It went flying across the garage. I put in what I thought was the right size one but when cleaning up the garage I found the correct one. Its larger in diameter and thinking I'll have to pull it all apart again to put the correct size detent ball back in.

All for now. Hear are a few pictures.

Bob

440 big block jeep 3 years, 383 small block 2 years, 258 six 5 years? go figure.

You mean so far right???

My build was (is) a complete frame off. It's not a restoration, but rather an off road build that I'll take on overlanding trips, and also use as a daily driver. It's a "Army Jeep" built as a military tribute to those I served with, (I did 28 years) as well as those who came before me, and those who serve now.

"How long" isn't known yet. Been about 3 years so far. I'm disabled, so I move slow, and I'm also building on the VA disability income "1 part every so often" budget plan... Should be pretty decent though once I get done.

1980 CJ7, Mopar 360, TF 727, Dana 20, SOA on 1.5" Rubicon Express YJ springs, Full size Dodge truck axles... Dana 44 front, Chrysler 9.25 rear, both rebuilt with fresh new everything, including Detroit Tru-trac diffs.

Just in case anyone is curious...

https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/the-120-jeep-cj7-build-thread.59059/

Picked up my 73CJ with the 304 3 speed and 3.73s in July of 2014
Purchased it just to run to trail heads for hiking on nice days.
Then the sickness set in.
Installed power steering
Installed a Tera low in the transfer case. No longer standing on the brakes on every will.
Put in a 6.15-1 T18 4 speed.
Added 2" spring lift and 1" body lift.
Purchased 35x12.50 bias ply TSLs for trail usage.
Narrowed a scout Dana 44 installed a Detroit locker and geared it down to 4.10s. Disk breaks what an upgrade.
Installed ac compressor for onboard air.
Installed ARB locker in rear.
Added a 2nd fuel tank under seat.
Trashed my fender well headers and had a exhaust system run through the frame.
Built a 85 a AMC 360. There went another 5k
Spare tire carrier that holds another 2 Jerry cans. Swings away both left and right.

Upcoming fuel injection
Rear disk
hydraulic clutch.

Now that I have gone off the deep end I purchased a 52 M38. I have been working on it for the past year when not working on the CJ or making money to dump in the my toys.

1617165128923.png

and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks